Country
CA
State
Nova Scotia
City
Halifax
28 year old male
Diagnosed with anxiety disorder at 14

For the last few days I've been experiencing twitching in my right thumb, in the area between thumb and index finger. It's quite noticeable. It has happened before but this time I Googled it and came across ALS... I know, never Google symptoms. I'm regretting it terribly.

Before the twitching started, I had been playing a video game for about four hours a day, for the previous few days. I the twitch started on Wednesday, it is now Sunday and still twitching intermittently. There's no loss of strength in my hand or thumb, though the muscle area that twitches does feel strained. It does not seem to twitch when at rest though. (I have a brace and when my hand is in it, no twitching). My right calf is also twitching intermittently but, again, no weakness. I've made myself so sick over the thought of this being ALS that I haven't eaten more than a slice of toast in three days.

I want to reach out and ask if this sounds like ALS. I've read conflicting accounts online about whether twitching or weakness appears first, so I'm very worried. I would REALLY appreciate any responses, and thank you so much in advance for your time.

Mod note- Moved to DIHALS section. There is a thread in the DIHALS section called "READ BEFORE POSTING" and it covers much of your concern with regards to twitching. Twitching is not indicative of ALS unless in conjunction with other neurological symptoms.

I will note that if you are being treated for anxiety with medication, many of those also cause twitching and other nervous system effects like "zapping" and tremors. I'd check in with your doctor to have a med review and to discuss your concerns about your symptoms. Poor posture can cause nerve pinching and carpal tunnel issues too- particularly if you lead a sedentary or low physical activity lifestyle.

I don't think you have to worry about ALS in any way, but go see your doctor to get a med review and maybe a referral to a physio to work out your possible postural issues.
Best wishes

Thank you so much for the fast reply. I take a low dose of xanax for anxiety (though I've had to take extra the last few days). I also take tegretol for epilepsy management, but twitching doesn't seem to be a side effect of that. Logically, the stress put on my thumb from the gaming (plus anxiety from watching way too much news) is probably the root cause of the twitching. Again, thank you for your fast response. I imagine self diagnosers like me can be a nightmare to deal with.

Last edited:
Update:

I went to the ER today (since I dont have a local GP), and the doctor checked out my hand. He did some basic strength tests (fists, wrists, eyes, legs, arms, hands) and assured me I don't have ALS. I'm a little worried that the tests were so basic, but he said there is no weakness at all and there's nothing to worry about. So I'll believe him. My thumb is still twitching on and off, but I've noticed that I can make it stop by flexing the muscle or moving my thumb. I don't think twitches associated with ALS can be stopped by flexing the muscle, so I'm looking at that as a very good sign.

Hi
The clinical tests are basic, ALS is all about loss of function so testing for that is about checking your bodies movement. If your doctor did not see any physical loss of strength or muscle then that's very reassuring. I have during stays in hospital allowed lots of medical students to practise physical exam techniques on me simple basic tests are what is needed.

Hope this helps

Wendy

Thank you for the reassurance, Wendy :)

Hey again. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts on this. My thumb continues to twitch when the muscle is stressed (specifically the muscle between the right thumb and forefinger). If this were an RSI, wouldn't it have healed by now? It's been a week. I'm having a really hard time dealing with this, as my anxiety has been off the charts over it. It has literally made me sick. So any thoughts would be VERY appreciated. Thank you to everyone on here.

RSI problems can go on for weeks even months, and a lot depends on how good you are being at following your doctors/ physios instructions to alleviate the problem. If you are still having constant problems it's best to go back to your doctor to discuss it.

Good luck
Wendy

Sadly when I did see a doctor, he only told me it wasn't ALS after the quick tests. Which put my mind at ease for all of thirty minutes. I'm thinking about going back to the ER tomorrow to see about further testing. Even to check my vitamin levels. I haven't eaten a proper meal since last Tuesday (lucky to eat a bowl of soup a day ive been so sick over this), so I can imagine my body isn't in the best of shape. A prescription for some long lasting anti-anxiety meds might help too.

Thank you for your help with this.

ER is pretty limited when it comes to ongoing investigation. Lack of proper hydration and nutrition can really do a number on you. It's really best to go to a general practitioner and just explain your symptoms don't mention als just ask them what it could be.
It's worth persevering to get some answers

Wendy

User banned. Multi ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back