Interest: Other
Lennoxleader is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Calgary
State: Alberta
Default Need an Opinon if anyone has the time

My story starts a month ago when I noticed my hand started to get really stiff and weak and I didn't know what was up. I went to the hospital a couple times and eventually they sent me to a Neurologist and ordered an EMG. When I got to the Neurologist he gave me a full exam and told me Neurologiclly was I was 100% fine and told me I had too much anxiety and canceled my EMG. I didn't think this was right because something is clearly wrong and after that things kept progressing. One month later my Right hand and arm is very weak, I'm starting to have trouble breathing, my left arm is weak and my left foot is starting to get weak. Do you think ALS would spread this fast? I can still use Right hand that has the initial weakness but it's just harder to write with Pen or use fork. He told me I had normal Reflexes and I can still pass Strength Test with hand and arm it's just getting weaker. I'm only 18 and this is driving me crazy and the weakness is starting to scare me to death. The only atrophy I have is in my Right wrist and I have Muscle Twitches everywhere. Does anyone know what else this could be? The hospitals don't want to listen to me and tell I'm fine. I feel like I'm just doomed to die....
Lennoxleader is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:03 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pit of hot
State: FL
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
gooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to all
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Pit of hot
State: FL
gooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to allgooseberry is a name known to all
Default Re: Need an Opinon if anyone has the time

First of all, you need to treat your anxiety. Then make sure you are well hydrated, not drinking caffeine, eating a healthy diet, and getting enough sleep. If you do these things and still experience troubles then go back to the doctor.
gooseberry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:48 AM #3 (permalink)

City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Firefighter58 is a jewel in the roughFirefighter58 is a jewel in the roughFirefighter58 is a jewel in the rough
City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is a jewel in the roughFirefighter58 is a jewel in the roughFirefighter58 is a jewel in the rough

No ALS....The hospital is right... go to your GP and seek help, don't tell him your diagnosis, let him do his job.
Al
Firefighter58 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:08 PM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)
Default Very scared please if anyone has any input

Hello I'm posting here because for the last month and bit I've been having major issues and extremely afraid I have ALS. I'm 18 years old and never had anything like this happen to me. It started on April 2nd when my hand started to get weak and stiff. When this happened I went to hospital they sent me to a a neurologist and he told me there's nothing wrong. Now over a month later I fee then weakness in both of my hands,both legs, both feet and my head. I have trouble swallowing; shortness of breath, neck pain, twitches everywhere, my hand hasn't atrophied but my forearm and wrist have gotten a bit smaller on my right arm. I've been to hospital many times and they don't think anything is wrong and it's just in my head but it's ruining my life. Would ALS Spread this fast? From what I can read it's pretty weird for it to spread that fast everywhere. I can still pass strength test everywhere but the weakness is with stuff like cups and small things which is weird. I also am negative for the Babinski test/Hoffmann test and my Reflexes normal. I also got my blood tested and my CK is at a very good level. If anything has any ideas please I would love to hear them
I don't wanna deal with this anymore I'm terrified.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:28 PM #5 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker is a name known to allShiftKicker is a name known to allShiftKicker is a name known to allShiftKicker is a name known to allShiftKicker is a name known to allShiftKicker is a name known to all
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
ShiftKicker is a name known to allShiftKicker is a name known to allShiftKicker is a name known to allShiftKicker is a name known to allShiftKicker is a name known to allShiftKicker is a name known to all

Mod note- merged thread. Please continue posting in your first thread here. It helps members see your posting history all in one place.

Unfortunately, the members here are not able to help you with a diagnosis. They are absolute experts on MND, but you are not suffering with that. Keep working with your doctor.
ShiftKicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:21 PM #6 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

But what else would be causing all this so fast
It's extremely terryifing
Old 05-17-2017, 02:50 PM #7 (permalink)

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2013
Clearwater AL is on a very distinguished road
City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2013
Clearwater AL is on a very distinguished road

Lennoxleader, as you wrote, "But what else would be causing all this so fast."

Answer... you!

Please take the advice given you above by very knowledgeable members and realize you are in denial concerning anxiety. It is a treatable disorder. Addressing that first will be the first step to enjoying the rest of your life. Give a try. What I'd give to be 18 again.

Think about it. Best wishes.
Clearwater AL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
starente15 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 PM #8 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Would ALS happen in all parts of body this fast? I thought with ALS in completely crippled one part of the body before moving on. My symptoms started on April 2nd and now there's weakness everywhere
Including my face, neck, arms, hands, legs, feet, back. I can still move everything and it started with my right hand but I still use it. I don't understand if this is just hyper aggressive ALS, or something else. Everything in my body feels heavy and weak and tired. The scariest part is the facial weakness, my face trembles when ever scrunching up u cheeks to my eyes. For atrophy My legs and arms have thinned out quite a bit but I've gained weight???? I've been off of work for the last two months almost because of this and I'll be getting my EMG done on this coming WEDNESDAY. The major question is would ALS present this fast in this many areas??? Nothing in my body is crippled yet, but everything is weak at the same time.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:43 PM #9 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
lgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant future
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
lgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant futurelgelb has a brilliant future

It's very unlikely. You'll know much more after the EMG, so hang tight.
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:27 AM #10 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Ok guys
normal emg
normal reflexes
normal strength
absent babinski and hoffmans
i dont got als
thank you all for listening
Thanks from
Jboo (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 02:07 PM #11 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud ofNikki J has much to be proud of

Thank you for reporting back. Have a long and healthy life!
Nikki J is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
als, anxiety, arm, atrophy, breathing, death, driving, emg, foot, muscle, muscle twitches, neurologist, story, test, twitches, weakness, wrist, wrong