Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nc
City
roanoke rapids
So, I had my follow up with my neurologist last week and had another EMG.

She performed it on my right arm and right leg. She was actually testing for something associated with myotonia, based on my symptoms and clean clinical exams.

During the testing on the right arm, in the bicep area, she mentioned to the tech that there was "slight recruitment".

This of course had me worried, as I am still working on my anxiety. After the exam, she said I did not have myotonia, Which I was relieved about. I then stated my anxiety was worrying about MND, She quickly shook her head no and said "No MND". So, I take comfort in that.

My question is what does recruitment actually mean? I was so caught up in the moment, that I forgot to ask. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

It's a measure of how fast and well nerves get involved in movement. When it's abnormal, the results point to whether there's primarily a problem with muscles (myopathy) or nerves (neurogenic disorders like ALS), and highlights the most likely problem. Pasting in some verbiage rather than paraphrasing:

Motor unit recruitment is "the successive activation of the same and additional motor units with increasing strength of voluntary muscle contraction."

The central nervous system can increase the strength of muscle contraction by:

• Increasing the number of active motor units
  • Increasing the frequency at which individual motor units fire
If you post the full report, we will know more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back