US
State
Iowa
City
earth
Hi,

I am a female, mid 40's.
Background.

I have disc bulges in C spine as well as lumbar. Have had a cervical fusion quite a few years ago.*
Symptoms.

5 yrs ago started having some swallowing difficulty, solids only. Still have difficulty with solids only. Hasn't worsened. Had endoscopy, barium done. Normal, except weak lower esophageal sphincter. I have heartburn though.

I will be going for a swallowing study in the next few months.

Also for 5 years, paresthesia ( tingling feeling) down left side of body. Neurologist said was due to migraine with aura.

2 years ago I had a bad fall from standing and hit the back of my head hard.*No concussion/loss of consciousness.*No imaging was done, though I did see a Dr. My head still hurts where I hit it to this day.

For the past 2 years my shoulders feel weak, especially when trying to roll over in bed.

A year ago I noticed left thigh feeling of stiffness. I can move it normally though. It feels constantly stiff. Like the thigh muscles never relax. Some restless leg when trying to fall asleep.

Last year I started to notice internal head tremor feeling, base of my neck only, very slight though and only when in seated position.

Last 6 months I notice if I hold my arms outstretched I have shaking on occasion. When I put them down and rest them, it goes away.
I have dry mouth. No I am not on medications.

Past 2 months I have had loss of balance, only twice though and not bad enough to fall down.

Started having vivid dreams the past few months.

Pinky finger on the opposite hand (right) has twitched when holding my hands out. This pinky finger also migrates away from the rest of my fingers when outstretched.
I*do have a*referral in to see a neuro but it will take me a year to see one. And I have asked to be on a waitlist.

* I have an EMG/NCS for next week that my pcp ordered.

I'm just wondering if these would be in line with ALS symptoms?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
I would want a brain MRI or CT (there's an argument for each in your case) more than the EMG, if the PCP can order that. And an updated C-spine study if not done since your fall.

ALS? Not so much. But the injury that was never imaged may be causing issues, and there are other possibilities.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie,

I have a referral in for a CT head. If that is clean I will ask for an updated C spine CT as well.

I appreciate your time.

Regards,
Autumn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back