Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Dayton
Hi there,

28 yo male, and am concerned.

I've had some issues recently with my right foot and right hand.

Over the winter I experienced some tingling and numbness in my feet and hands, assuming it was potentially diabetes as my family has a history of it. However after a quick screen I found out my glucose levels were normal.

My right foot has been giving me trouble for a while. I work in retail and have worked retail and/or on concrete surfaces for my working career. But lately towards the end of my shifts its increasingly difficult for me to just walk normal, like I can barely pickup my foot. I have no difficulty making that motion without weight on it. This seems to have gotten worse over the past several months and at this point is making work difficult for me. I have pretty bad pain in my arch area when walking now. When I rotate my foot in a circular motion I do hear quite a bit of creaking and popping. When I flex my foot up and down I get a rather large pop.

My right hand is incredibly stiff and fatigues easily. Example being screwing the drain plug into my car is a chore and takes several attempts because my hand simply gets too tired and requires a break. My writing, bad to begin with, has gotten worse as well. My left hand is similar but not quite as bad. At work I use my hands a ton and I'm not sure if its just them being tired but it generally doesn't seem to go away.

I've also had fasics basically all over my body as well. I can't pinpoint when I first noticed this. Its most noticeable in my right foot, and calf. Sometimes when I notice it in my right foot near my big toe it pulsates quite a lot and is somewhat painful. Most of the time its near my arch on the left side of the foot, and also on the top of my foot near my big toe.

I'm still able to balance on one foot, squat, stand on toes, but I do have a noticeable weakness in my right foot./leg I really cant judge if theres been atrophy or not in my legs. I'm quite active and have always had strong calf muscles so I dont' know what to look for in that regard.

I will say I remember having fasics in my left bicep when I was 21 and I just attributed it to atrophy (had previously lifted heavily, and then stopped)

I work out pretty regularly, although it occurs in bursts. Good for several weeks then nothing for a few weeks, etc, etc. I'm in fairly good condition and last week I was on the treadmil at full incline for an hour on 3 occasions. I also rock climb indoors a few times per week.

I have been stressing quite a lot about work and life recently, and when I noticed fasics was a symptom of als I looked into it closer and some of my symptoms match up.

Wondering if its worth going to see a doctor about, or if I just need to calm down.

Thanks

Worth going to establish a baseline for your strength and for the doc to discern if there is a difference between the L and R sides in any respect, any signs of sensory or motor impairment. ALS is by no means the top possibility, I hasten to add. But no sense in letting something treatable get worse.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back