Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Pennsylvania
City
Hollidaysburg
Hi, Last month while at a neurologist appointment for a seizure I suffered a few months ago I told the Dr. that I have experienced twitching in my left leg and hand. He did a quick exam and noticed some muscle loss and weakness in my left hand. At that time I could not tell anything I am now starting to see a small dent in the muscle below my thumb as well as cramping and stiffness in that area. The only other symptom I have is my tongue looks like there is something crawling under it when I look at it in the mirror. I cannot feel this movement in my tongue but it is almost always there when I look and it seems to be more active in the evenings.
I will be having an EMG this Thursday. Is this a painful test? What should I expect?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, I just had an EMG done for back and neck issues. I wouldn't describe it as painful, rather a little uncomfortable. For the first part they applied a current that made my muscles jump which basically felt like a small spasm. The second part was needle pricks which didn't hurt at all.

Thank you for your reply! I am looking forward to figuring out what is wrong but nervous about what it could be. Hoping for the best.

If the neurologist is performing the emg, they may be able to give you some basic info afterwards. Sometimes a tech performs the emg

Thank you, I am noticing stiffness and weakness in my left hand especially the thumb.

I'll bet ten of my dollars against ten of your donuts that there is no ALS there.

Good luck.

Keep us posted & good luck.

Thanks! I think and hope you are right. I think it may just nerve damage.

I just got back from my appointment. The Dr. tested both arms. He told me that I have nerve dysfunction in both however it is much worse on my left. When he tested my left hand for strength during the needle portion of the exam I was unable to over come him and he told me he was barley trying. He wants to re-test me in a month to see if the weakness has progressed. So the waiting goes on it looks like.

Waiting is hard but often necessary.

Nerve dysfunction is vague. Do you know details? Were the abnormalities in your ncs or emg or both? If you do not know exact results request the report.

The Dr said I will have full results monday. He really didn't give me a lot of information but was concerned about weaknees in left hand. It has gotten weaker since my previous visit a month ago. Also my left thenar muscle is noticeably smaller.

Thank you, The Dr. noted the muscle loss on my left hand and was concerned that the weakness had gotten worse since the last visit. He is having me come back in a month to test again. Is this typical? Should I be pushing for more test or just let the Dr. do his thing. he says I should get the full results on Monday or Tuesday from the EMG.

You don't know yet what the tests showed.

A month is really a very short time.

Lastly sometimes, even often, waiting is the correct thing to do. You don't want to end up having tests that are unnecessary. Let your neuro do his thing unless or until he seems not to be doing his job. If your EMG and/ or NCS are non diagnostic there may be nothing to do but wait

Last edited:
Thank you Nikki, The Dr. gave me the test and he seems to be taking it very seriously. I will let him do his job. He told me he will call with the results of the test on Monday or Tuesday.

Get a copy of the results in case you need a second opinion. It's always good to get copies of all medical tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back