Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
Hi all,

While I'm experiencing other symptoms that I won't get into (twitching, stiffness, etc) because they seem to be nonspecific to ALS, I do want to ask about a specific symptom that I've been experiencing.

I've been having bouts of excessive sneezing lately. Is this an upper motor neuron sign, considering sneezing is a reflex? Has anybody experienced excessive sneezing as a sign of hyperreflexia? I know the odds of this having anything to do with ALS is extremely slim, but I'm curious if this could potentially be a symptom.

Thank you so much in advance for your input. It's truly appreciated!

That's an interesting question. However, it fits in with the twitching/fatigue/weakness conundrum that is addressed in the Stickies. There is a pattern of symptoms observed by a clinician when conducting a neurological exam that includes a variety of tests to detect subtle issues with brain/nerve/muscle connections. Just like coughing being a sign of allergies right on up to lung cancer, doctors are looking for the reason you are experiencing particular symptoms, not at the actual symptoms themselves- and there are ways of doing so that require seeing a doctor in person.

TBH- Sneezing is not an immediate sign of any sort of neurological pathology. That's a heck of a reach to think that.

No.

Nor is excessive gas, just in case...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back