Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Bath
I just had my first visit to a neurologist for twitching that started seven months ago. My neurological exam was normal except for brisk deep tendon reflexes with 1-2 beats of clonus. I was ordered an EMG, blood work, X-ray, and an MRI to be done.

I am not very concerned anymore (I was the first four months or so) with something very sinister going on, but wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as mine?

I have seen that brisk reflexes are common for many other things, including minor clonus. My neurologist ordered the MRI, according to the discharge papers, because of my younger age (24) and the brisk reflexes. She never used the word hyperreflexia.

Anyways, thank you to anyone who can give some input or wisdom to my current situation.

The EMG usually are the last prior to diagnosis , twitching is ALS in my community they couldn't diagnose then I went to Madison and they cleared it up . Bulbar ALS

Twitching is a bit of a non starter. It can be indicative of absolutely nothing, or over exercise, vitamin deficiency, a side effect of a variety of drugs, stress, and so on. Yes, twitching can be a sign that something is wrong, but more likely than not, it's just a thing that some people have. Brisk reflexes can also be normal for some as well. It's difficult with a first appointment to get a handle on if brisk reflexes are a cause for worry. There needs to be an increase/decrease from a previous finding in order for it to be considered concerning. While it's immensely frustrating to have to wait, a neurologist can better assess if something's an issue by re-examining a few months later and tracking changes.

The twitching and abnormal reflexes need to be combined with an array of other neurological symptoms in order to indicate a possible problem. I'm sure you've read about it in other posts, but just twitching and brisk reflexes can be related to anxiety and stress. Your neurologist is the person to ask about what has been ruled out and what they may still be concerned about. They are the person who has examined you and is deciding which direction to take it next.

Thank you for the response. It came on out of the blue one day seven months ago, it stayed in one spot then moved to another a couple days later, and then has since been everywhere. I've had twitching episodes in the past when I was much younger that lasted for a week. But seven months is new to me.

My neurologist is going through the works on me just to rule out everything else. Which I am glad about, better than just brushing it off. What I can say is that my twitching has become much calmer and really only flares up in the morning or at night and is relatively good during the in between. Mainly when my mind is not busy does it become more apparent. Either way, I am nervous but relieved to be finally taking some action. As for the risk reflexes, she never mentioned clonus, and she said that brisk reflexes tend to appear in younger people and be normal. she was well aware by me that I was "one of them" without posting on forums 24/7 with updates. I just toughed it out by myself until I got a handle on my brain.

But again, thank you for the response. Reading over this forum, especially the before you post sticky, and others I have definitely lowered my stress and anxiety from it. Now it is just a matter of seeing what the tests say. Yet, I feel confident the odds are in my favor.

At 24 with your symptoms, I am going to say the odds are hugely in your favor.

I might also add that I advise people not make too much out of any Doctor's finding of "Brisk Reflexes". I have had that off and on for years, and to this day Doctors cannot seem to agree on the status of my husband's reflexes. Unless it is REALLY pronounced, or you have some obvious thing like Babinkis sign the "reflex"observations don't seem very reliable.

Best wishes, glad you are getting checked out.

Yeah, my neurologist never mentioned clonus, but included it in my discharge papers and I was shocked to see that. It had to be so subtle I could have never of noticed it. Either way, like you said, I am not looking much into the whole reflex thing. I am just ready to get the arsenal of testing over with. I have a feeling my issue with my twitching came from personal issues I was having that were stressing me out over a long period of time. Even though in that moment I didn't feel a bit of stress.

Thank you for the response though! I appreciate it. A lot of good insight and personal experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back