Reason
Other
Country
Ire
State
Leinster
City
Dublin
Hi all, firstly I have read the sticky in this section, but I just have a few brief questions. I'd like to thank anyone who takes the time to read this in advance, as I'm letting these concerns get the better of me.

I'm a 22 year old male, living in Ireland. In the past summer I lived abroad, this is when I began to notice that I'd often find my forearms to be quiet weak, almost limp at times, as well as my hands to often be shaky. Along with this one leg would often feel weaker when walking around, almost as if I was dragging it about. I was living away from home and perhaps not eating as well as I should have, or taking care of my body too well. However, I began to become concerned as while I was working as a waiter I could barely hold the stem of a wine glass without shaking it and spilling all its contents, it was as if my grip had weakened. Perhaps I was dehydrated as a pharmacist had recommended I needed more electrolytes, however upon following up on this suggestion not much changed.

I returned home to Ireland in September, and things we back to normal until the past month, where all of these problems have began to re-occur. On top of what I have written above, I know feel that there is an excess of saliva in my mouth and I often slur when I speak. Perhaps this is me being a hypochondriac as I've read these are symptoms of ALS. If it were to be ALS, would it be possible for symptoms to disappear for a period and then reappear several months later, or am I total fool worrying over nothing and perhaps a stressful past 2 months has gotten the better of me?

I tried talking to my parents about it once and they laughed at the idea of what I was saying, perhaps they were right to, but I just really want to get this off my chest and I know nowhere to vent.

To conclude, my main "symptoms" are that my forearms feel very peculiar, almost numb and weakened. I often twitch in random areas around my body. My hands often feel quite stiff and shaky. I feel like I have excess saliva in my mouth a fair bit, as well as a slurred speech but this isn't too reoccurring. I really hope that this is just anxiety and that I am indeed being a fool, in that I am reading of ALS symptoms and starting to believe I have what I read.

I've been able to go to the gym as well as play soccer, and haven't noticed any decline in performance, but as I sit and type this I feel like it is more of an effort as it ever has been before, feeling weakness in my hands and forearms.

I really do sincerely thank anyone who has taken the time to read this, and can either put me at ease or even if I my suspicions sound in any way related to ALS to recommend I see a neurologist or my GP, thank you so much X.

Hi
Hopefully you will find this reassuring als symptoms don't go away for a while and then come back. The symptoms appear and just get progressively worse. We don't get better.

It's best for you to go and talk to your GP and get yourself checked out. You may find you have something very treatable but it's always a good idea to get your doctors opinion.

Good luck
Wendy x

Thanks Wendy really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back