Interest: Other
taylorheffner is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Huron
State: Sd
Angry Does this seem like ALS?

I am a 17 year old female. I have had blood tests that came out normal. I went to the ER the other day because I was not getting answers. He did my reflexes and did the babinski reflex. I am unsure of the results of either, he did however suggest I had MS and referred me to a neurologist. I am currently concerned with ALS. I twitch all over my body, but especially in my right leg. I have constant shortness of breath and extreme fatigue. I am losing weight quickly due to the fact that my appetite is nonexistent, I barely eat if at all. I have lost close to 10 lbs in a couple weeks. My left arm feels especially weak, and if I flex it a certain way my wrist muscle on the outside caves in. If you feel it there is obviously less muscle than in my right wrist. My arm has a dull ache a lot of the time. I am finding it a little bit more difficult and uncomfortable to use, holding a pop can even feels heavy. My voice is getting a little hoarse. My whole body feels weak. When I bend down, I shake. When I bend my knees, I shake. When I bend down my head sometimes I will shake. When I lift my arms up I don't, however when I move them down I shake. I sometimes get a burning sensation in my skin and tingling, but it's not servere. My legs get very tired just walking up and down the stairs. I feel like I have a ball of mucus stuck at the bottom of my throat and no matter how much I swallow it doesn't go away. I also noticed that sometimes when I am texting with my right hand my thumb will wig out and shake when put in a certain position. My left arm gets tired very very easily, even if it is just from texting. I am concerned and terrified. Does this sound like ALS to you? I see a neurologist in two days. Thank you. I have attached a photo of my wrist when I flex it.
Attached Thumbnails
Does this seem like ALS?-img_5516.jpg  
Old 04-08-2017, 05:52 PM #2 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute
Forum Moderator

ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does this seem like ALS?

Hiya-

While your symptoms are concerning, it's very unlikely to be ALS. Your age, and the even spread of symptoms in a short period of time points towards something other than ALS. It's good you're getting to see a neurologist. They wil be able to see your pattern of symptoms and have that direct what they test you for.

Please let us know how your appointment goes.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:53 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

I have had the muscle twitching for over a year, does that make a significant difference?
Old 04-08-2017, 06:03 PM #4 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator

No, it really doesn't make a significant difference. Twitching is a symptom of so many different things. It would be like jumping straight to thinking you had lung cancer if you had a chronic cough.

It's good you're seeing a neuro- they'll be able to tell you their thoughts on what is causing your symptoms and order further testing, depending on their clinical assessment.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:06 PM #5 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Okay, thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Closed Thread

Tags
ache, als, als?, arm, ball, burning, fatigue, female, go away, lift, mucus, muscle, neurologist, shortness of breath, swallow, tests, thumb, twitch, unsure, voice, wrist

« ALS Fear | Confused »