Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
wa
City
Seattle
I am about to turn 40 and just had a baby and have experienced all sorts of weird symptoms. I just read the symptom list and it led me here. The last few weeks, I have had weird swallowing issues where my throat feels really dry or mucasy, my speech has been a bit weird on and off, like almost a tiny bit slurred, a lot of tingly and numbing down my arms and face and hands, but also a ton of eye twitching that just started a few days ago. It goes in to my chin too with tingling. Is this the start of it?

Please help, thanks.

Have you been to a doctor? Many things happen when you give birth. Your doctor would be best to assess you and provide guidance.

I have been for so many other things. They did a heart exam, cat scan, checked for blood clots, tons of blood tests. This is all pretty recent.

Then ask for thyroid testing, vitamin deficiencies, cortisol, muscle enzymes, etc. Stress, too much caffeine, too little sleep can all cause symptoms like yours. Go back to the doctor.

Thyroid has been tested, low iron, but that si all they could find. I have not been tested for ALS, so I am very terrified.

If your iron is low, are you addressing it with diet or supplements? It's unlikely to resolve spontaneously.
It is likely that your magnesium and/or B vitamins are low as well so I would try a B complex (100% of RDA only) and food sources for Mg, e.g. leafy veg, beans, nuts. And reconsider your regimen in terms of sleep/stress as a new baby (congratulations!) affects both.

Best,
Laurie

There is no test for ALS. The diagnostic process is one of excluding all other diseases combined with very specific clinical signs and emg results. People don't just go to a doc and get told you have ALS. You have a whole lot of things this could be before jumping to a fatal disease.
Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back