Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hello guys,

I had a number of issues throughout the past weeks. My Neurologist sent me to have an MRI because he thought I might have MS. I had numbness feelings in my limbs. However, the MRI came back clear. Because I told him, I also had muscle cramps and problems writing, he now asked to come back. When I first visited him, I was afraid of ALS so I asked him. He told me that he couldn't find any weeknesses and doesn‘t think its ALS but MS. Well, now it is not MS and I still get the crampss and have problems writing. Also, the numbness went away (I guess it had to do to with the cramping but I am not sure). Today I saw that my hand looked weird and I am a bit afraid now. The first picture is my left hand in a relaxed state, the second shows it with a bit of tension. Is that atrophy? I do not have this "edge" in my right hand in the same position. What do you think about my writing problems? It is as if I write funny. It takes a alot of effort to write readable and my hand cramps a lot.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 5,238
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 515
Your hand looks fine in the photos.

If you don't have clinical weakness, you don't have the trademark symptom of ALS, Beyond that, you just need to keep sorting it out with your Doctor.

I don't see any atrophy or reason for fear. If the problems continue, your neuro will probably do an EMG to hone in further on the diagnosis. My advice would be to follow the process through and try some hand stretches in the morning.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your answers. Since the Neurologist checked me in his office with all these exams in which I had to push against him in different ways and he couldn't find anything, does that mean that I don't have any clinical weaknesses? He said if I had ALS and my writing problems or cramps were symptoms of it, he would have found something. Is that fair?

Thank you so much for your help!

Listen to your Doctor. He would have told you ASAP if your exam was abnormal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back