Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ia
City
Des moines
I am just curious if this sounds like FTD? I heard ALS causes FTD. My symptoms are that I tongue tie words more frequently, like Rear Wheel drive comes out like Real Wheer and then I have to correct it. Also like elbow joint came out like elboy joint today. Stuff like that, just more frequently.

When talkin to my fiance about it he said language issues pertaining to FTD dont pertain to tongue twisters or stuttering, but the slow inability to understand words you hear or say, thus when you talk, you find you may have lost memory of what a word means completely, like it is foreign, and is a struggle to find a replacement word..

I am not sure he is right, or if my symptoms happen in FTD or if FTD is a whole different type of speech issue.

I would appreciate some insight that may help me feel better or reassured that my symptoms are not unorthodox and are probably not FTD?

Your fiancé is correct that a twisted tongue isn't a sign of dementia of any kind. Drink more non-alcoholic liquids and change your lip balm. If symptoms persist, see your primary care doc.

Best,
Laurie

So I read about progressive non-fluent aphasia and now I am totally freaking out.

Apparently these are the symptoms

Slow, hesitant speech
Speech may seem effortful to produce and people may seem to stutter before they can get the right word out. This is known as apraxia of speech.

Difficulty finding the right word to say

Pronouncing words incorrectly
People may say the wrong word, often similar in sound to the one they meant to say, for example ‘aminal’ instead of ‘animal’.

‘Telegraphic’ speech
People may miss out the small words in sentences such as ‘the’ or ‘and’.

Producing the wrong grammar
People may use the wrong tense such as saying ‘happened’ when they mean ‘happen’ – this is known as agrammatism.

Saying the opposite word to the one they mean to say
For example saying ‘yes’ when they mean ‘no’.

Today this morning for instance, I told my fiance I was getting someone a 'glass' of wine, I meant ot say bottle..that freaked me out. Also the tongue twitsters and sometimes I fudge up words. I am super freaked out right now

It there anything about my symptoms that points away from it?

There is no reason in the world to think you have FTD or any other kind of dementia.

In medicine, they give everything a name. Doesn't make it a threat to living a long happy life. Unless you decide it should.

Stop freaking. I don't have FTD (I'm pretty sure.) I normally leave off the last word of most of my sentences because it doesn't come to mind fast enough. To me, any container, bottle or can, is likely to be called a bucket. Everything that operates--from rockets to cell phones--I just call it a machine.

Maybe my mind isn't perfect. (It earned a master's degree, so it's probably alright.) But I'm having a wonderful time enjoying life. I invite you to do the same and forget about FTD.

If you are still concerned, see a doctor. Not just any doctor. An old gray haired doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back