Learn about ALS
Country
Us
State
Floris
City
Clearwater
Swallowing issues since Jan- first a prob
With initiating a swallow with solid foods.
Now more of an issue with phylangeal
Stage. Not aspirating . No speech issues. Was
Referred to a neuromuscular doctor
Who noted a perfect clinical exam.
She performed an emg at my request which tongue sternocleidomastoid masseter vastus medialis peroneus longus medial head deltoid biceps triceps and others were needled and tested all on the left side . Exam was normal.
I however feel more symptoms in my right- - a sensation of something in my throats on the right . Biting cheeks tongue and lower lip inside of it. Accidentally- it's painful.
(MAybe those two symptoms are because I am constantly retesting myself in the mouth and cheek area
The way the dr
Did. Such as puffing out cheeks and holding air moving tongue all over and checking strength of tongue against inside of my cheeks. I have a sore
Tongue from all of this.

I can move my tongue all
Over and very fast.
I don't have speech issues.
Would bulbar present symmetrically? I feel
More throat symptoms on the right .like a feeling of residue in my throat on the right side even though after being examined by larygneacope
By ent he saw nothing and didn't note
Anything looking out of the ordinary with my vocal
Cords
Etc. Also the biting of lips cheeks etc- is that a presenting symptom or
Symptom after weakness is detected?
And would an emg that is thorough detect bulbar? Or should
I seek a second opinion?
Please and thank you.

Last edited:
You described a very thorough EMG and a "perfect" clinic exam. You also described mouth and throat muscles that seem to work quite well. (They're chewing.)

Are you eating and drinking OK?

Chewing your lip and mouth are actually very good signs that you are not affected by ALS.

Chewing your lip and mouth are also very good signs that you are nervous, stressed and anxious.

Eating and drinking good but
Swallowing is funny feeling with both liquids and solids. I have a hard time sometimes getting food down or in my throat but upon a second swallow
They go down .
Liquids feel funny going down but they don't come
Back up either .
I'm not chewing cheeks I am
Accidentally biting them.
The swallowing hasn't gotten worse it's just changes--I had a few
Incidences with problems in initiation now it's more weird going down when in the throat
My chewing sometimes feels unaligned like i am
Going to bite my self
Etc

I am following up with a gi.
Would an ent see signs on clinical exam
As well-
Like on laryngoscopes?

Last edited:
Would I have speech issues by now? And that emg was sufficient - it was done after swallowing stuff started
But before cheek and lip accidental biting began.

I think I can help with a little explanation.

ALS is a disease in the brain that destroys certain nerves in the brain. These nerves are specifically the ones that give the 'go' signal that tells your muscles to contract.

Of course, we can't see the brain, but we see our muscles all the time. If they are moving, they are getting a signal, AOK.

I see nothing in your posts that indicates there might be a problem with any kind of ALS.

I wonder who is sending you to GI? I'm not even sure why you saw a neuro. But then, I'm not a doctor.

The musco neuro dr I was sent to by go
because I had problems with initiation of swallowing solids originally - which now I don't have. Now it's a
Swallowing difficulty further in the throat. Foods
get caught after I swallow or I feel a delayed swallow

Why not get a swallow test. Nothing you report resembles ALS but a swallow test could detect other issues. Some people have a narrowing in their esophagus that could account for swallowing difficulties.

Again, NOTHING you report resembles any form of ALS.

Ok. So Before I had any trouble swallowing is most likely have trouble chewing speaking eating etc?

I am seeing a gi soon and having some tests run. However - I do have a question. With bulbar als would one side of the throat "feel" differently than the other-?like can you feel a weaker side? And if emg of that area was done on the not weak side is it still valid ?

Anisk, you're good to go. Enjoy a very long life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back