Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
Hey folks,

Let me start by saying that I have disabling mental illness, a big part of which is Health Anxiety. So please bare with me.

About three months ago, I started having body-wide muscle twitches. These come and go in severity and frequency. Sometimes, they disappear for a few days at a time. I have been virtually twitch-free for the last week.

When I am on the computer, I get a burning feeling in my biceps when typing. The only sensation I can equate it to is fatigue. However, I don't have to physically stop using the computer or anything of the sort. I also do body weight bicep exercises every other day and get no sense of burning or fatigue when I do these.

In the last couple of weeks, I have noticed a feeling of weakness or strain in my right leg. It migrates from my calf to my hamstring to my quad. I have no trouble walking for 20 minutes straight and I do body weight squats and have no exceptional feeling of weakness or fatigue in my right leg vs. my left leg.

I have been to my GP and had routine bloodwork as well as a basic neurological exam. All was normal. Of course, because of my health anxiety, I started using Dr. Google and found my way to ALS.

What do you think? Are these likely to be early symptoms of ALS? Or is my health anxiety running out of control again?

I think it's painfully obvious that you neglected toread the stickytitled PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.
Do so now

Jesus, sorry. I was just looking for opinions. Is this how you come down on all new posters with questions?

Victros, there's no ALS in your symptoms.
The sticky post stuck at the top of this forum that is titled "Read before posting" will explain it to you rather well.

Thank you. I've spent so much time over the past few weeks researching ALS on the web, and reading different things, I'm confused as to what to believe. Some say twitches are never a first sign, some say they are. Some say fatigue is a sign, some say it isn't. My health anxiety is severe and makes me not just suspect, but believe the worst case scenario all the time. It has, in many ways, ruined my life.

Last edited:
Hi Victros

Because twitches and fatigue can be caused by so very many other things than ALS, they are not an indicator in themselves. In your post you describe still being able to exercise and walk normally etc, with no clinical weakness at all I don't think you need to worry. Do go to your doctor and get yourself checked out, if your symptoms are concerning you.

Regards

Wendy

OK, thank you again folks. As part of my health anxiety treatment, I'm not supposed to research symptoms or seek reassurance. It's very, very difficult not to, though, when the fear sets in.

Does anyone have an idea as to why my biceps fatigue or burn quickly when contracted on the computer or when eating out of a bowl, etc., but not when doing actual exercises that bend the joint or while driving? Have you heard of anything like this before?

Victros, you are doing exactly what you have been told not to do. You are inviting people here to participate in your anxiety cycle.
While you are in charge of your own behavior and pursuit of wellness, I am willing to ban you from this forum and close this thread at your request.

I also strongly recommend, at this point, that no one else posts here, as it is feeding anxiety and has zero to do with achieving wellness.

Fair enough, it's probably for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back