Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nc
City
roanoke rapids
Hope everyone is having a good evening!

Was away here for a few months and was doing well.

Saw my neuro last week, clinical was great again. Investigating some blood test results now.

My question involves aspiration. Every time I drink water, or most any liquid, I have to clear my throat right after. I can talk and breathe normally most of the time before I decide to clear it, but when I do, it is almost always a "wet cough" that gets produced.

I have seen an ENT and been told GERD is there, but is what I/m describing aspiration?

I have never fully "choked" on liquids to where I couldn't speak or breathe or anything, but I am curious as to if this would be considered aspiration?

I have had plenty of EMG's and clinical exams, and have been told they are all good. But I have never had a swallow test done.

Any feedback you all might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

-Brent

Aspiration goes into your lungs. Very bad. Thankfully, you didn't aspirate. That choke, clearing throat, and coughing was evidence that your throat was working just fine defending itself from liquids.

Remember, the air tube is in front of the food tube. Sometimes people will gag and choke, then have a coughing fit. That's uncomfortable, but at least the liquid didn't get into your lungs.

If you had several EMGs and several exams and all were clear, then you're clear. A swallow study won't be evidence of ALS no matter what it shows.

Ask your doctor if a swallow study would be likely to help her fix your GERD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back