Old 03-19-2017, 02:58 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Kenton
State: Ohio
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Amy37 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Emg, twitching, atrophy?

Hi first time poster but have been reading here and bfs forum since last August when my symptoms started. I accidently sent my full post to blog instead of a thread so here goes.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis but maybe some insight and an answer to my Emg question.
In August of 2016 I noticed the phantom cell phone buzzing in my legs which then was followed by extreme heaviness in arms and hands to pain and what I call twitching in my knees down to my toes even the arches of my feet. I seen my doctor who tried me on lexapro which I happened to be allergic to and am Leary of trying other stuff at this point.

My twitching I describe as someone on the inside flicking out ward and yes it's visible. It lasted constant for three weeks. Moving into my middle left finger and eventually the hand, the back of my arm, and shoulder blade all left side. After about three weeks I noticed what I thought was a good few days in a row followed by a few bad days in a row. I

n December I woke up for work and my left hand was numb I waited for it to subside but It didn't. My daughter asked me to go to the er so I did when the nurse took my temp I noticed my face was numb so they immediately started checking me for stroke and did a ct scan. I didn't mention the twitching in hopes that if anything was going on with my brain it would show up. But it was normal.

I seen my family doctor who then schedule an emg. I had this done in January. While the was only one twitch in my foot and the conductor seen it. However a week and a half later my family doctor reported the results were normal. He was very ok and relieved at that point disclosing his mother passed away from als. So I tried to let my worries go.

In February the twitching continued so I took the results to my nurologist who was also fine with the results. However today 3/19/17 my left hand fell asleep and as I looked at it I noticed it looks smaller than the right. I asked my daughter if she thought so and she said yes. So my question is since the emg was only preformed in the lumbar spine to my ankles would it show ALS anywhere in the body?

I still have twitching in both legs and feet I've also developed twitching in my left lower eye lid so bad that it can effect my vision and or still occurs in my left arm and hand. Sometimes I notice it in my sides (trunk of body). Hope someone knows the answer to my question and does this sound like ALS symptoms or something else. Thank you.

Last edited by lgelb : 03-19-2017 at 03:00 PM Reason: paras
Old 03-19-2017, 03:08 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emg, twitching, atrophy?

Hi Amy,

From your description ALS is not on the table [the EMG doesn't need to be and will never be done on every muscle to see the kind of nerve damage that would point to ALS] but I would suggest considering consulting a second neurologist to review your CT / EMG and evaluate your current status and history to see if you might need further testing.

Best,
Laurie
Old 03-19-2017, 04:47 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)
Default Re: Emg, twitching, atrophy?

Thank you Laurie. My nurologist had ordered an an MRI of the thoracic spine but the insurance denied it pending 6m of several other treatments first. Was very disappointed.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, als symptoms, atrophy, back, bfs, blog, brain, cell, diagnosis, emg, eye, family, fell, finger, foot, heaviness, immediately, pain, reading, shoulder, stroke, symptoms, twitching, vision, work