Reason
Other
Country
UK
State
Dorset
City
Poole
Hi. I am new here. Can anyone tell me if they have shared my experience please? I am 50. My neurologist has confirmed that I have dysarthria (for about 6 months), tongue fasciculation and a weak gag reflex. I also have stiff legs and neck and fatigue. MRI and EMG did not show anything, and all tests are to be repeated in a month or so with a 'wait and see' conclusion. I understand it takes time, but as a Mum I am of course worried (not so much for me, but for my son) . Does this sound like Bulbar onset ALS or maybe PLS.
Many Thanks in anticipation.

Warm greetings to you Annie (I have a special affection for that name :))

What you describe is not inconsistent with bulbar onset ALS, but there are certainly many other possibilities. Which muscle groups did they examine with the emg?

It's really important to understand that many people who have some symptoms that are possibly caused by ALS can develop anxiety than can lead to "feeling" symptoms in other body parts. These are often characterized by words such as "feeling weak" or "feeling stiff". So though one may really have weakness or stiffness, it's important to understand that those feelings might also be caused by a health anxiety triggered by fear of the possible causes of another symptom.

I know it's nearly impossible to not be fearful that your dysarthria is an early symptom of ALS, but try your best to not become hyper-vigilant on every body part looking for confirmation. We see a lot of that anxiety phenomenon here, so just be alert to it.

I do know from my Annie's experience that her early emgs didn't reveal that she had ALS. An emg about a year later finally made it plain.

Do your best not to jump to conclusions at this point. There are many other possibilities. I think the Dr's "wait and see" plan is the correct one.

I wish you much peace in your patience.

Thank you Phil. I appreciate your prompt reply.
I completely understand the anxiety and the imagining of possible new symptoms and am really trying hard to not go down that road. Worrying doesn't help anything. It was actually my speech therapist that spotted my new symptoms since the EMG and MRI. Like I say, I am new to this,and hadn't even heard of Bulbar. I believe they had a good old check of most muscle groups and was relieved when they were clear. Most days I just get on with life, my business etc with the mind set that I am well (just have to explain to clients that I am not actually drunk at 10.30am on a Monday morning). Just a bit of a wobbly today.
Kind regards to you.

An excellent attitude, Annie. I wish you the very, very best.

Hi, Annie, did the EMG include muscles at or above the neck?

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,
I recall just the throat for my tongue, nothing above the neck.
Thank you for asking.
Annie

If the EMG included your throat and/or tongue, then lower motor neuron disease would be evident from abnormal results. Usually PLS does not present with bulbar symptoms, though it can, and usually not as many as you describe in as many areas in a short period of time. So I would make sure all the other neurologic differentials are considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back