Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Deu
State
Baden-Württemberg
City
Freiburg, Germany
Hello everyone, I am new here. I feel half embarassed bothering you again with the worries of unconfirmed diagnoses. Just I wanted to share my experience and ask some questions about some further details. I have huge respect to the ones, who despite this desease take their precious time to comfort and talk to us, share and help!. huge thanks for that.

I am 26 year old, female - currently living in Germany. Excuse for my spelling mistakes.
My symptoms started with annoying twitches as most of the twitchers have experienced. However what was/is different in my opinion is that it is strictly localized on my left hand, namely at my elbow . It is big visible twitches which never stopped for entire weekend and I made a stupid mistake of searching it online before going to doc. Since I got to know about possibilities of MS/ALS it got even worse. I notice twitches on other parts of my body too but they range from seconds to couple minutes and then they are gone. However this ''hotspot'' on my left arm still stayed ever since. That was almost 2 weeks ago now. Then I went to Neurologist and we did SSEP tibialis, he did light clinical check (walking straight line, turning hands like screwing light bulbs, pressing against his hand- strength test); I did MRT and he concluded that I 100 percent do not have MS.

I was still paranoid and crazy concerned about ALS. He could not take it serious and did not see the need of EMG (due to low probability at my age, no clinical weakness according to him, although I am feeling weaker but that might be my brain playing tricks on me - as I can do push ups and some yoga poses which involve standing on that one hand etc.) After lengthy discussion he agreed to do EMG and he did NCA too. NCA and EMG was done on my Right leg (which he said was a bit weaker according to SSEP tibialis whyever, but nothing scary he said) and my left hand (bicep), - he explained the rules how EMG should work - that relaxed muscle should not make any sound and then while being strained it makes some sound. it worked perfectly on leg and looking at him he was very self-confident about it. Then he sticked the needle on left arm and it instantly made some noises. Although I have to mention that machine had some sounds when not attached to any muscle too. So he checked double. again changed the position of needle, it still was making some sound.. but he was constantly checking things on screen, then again checked my strength test etc. and he said it was just an artifact of the machine and that nothing is wrong.

Since then I cannot relax - I am already taking some fear reducing medicines which he prescribed because he said it is not normal that at my age I make such panic about a desease which I do not have. However does anyone have experience how EMG machine works? is it really only sound? or Could doc really see in some other measurements how your nerve is doing.

One thing what I forgot to mention is that the twitches are very big and visible when I have my arm in 90 degree angle, when it is open or hanging I do not feel it. Sometimes there is that buzz feeling inside, or ants crawling rarely but when open I have not noticed the twitches.

Apart from that I have developed high anxiety I guess because I have constant heart beat at my throat and sometime mistake it into twitches or falsc. of throat/tongue which drops me into panic. I have constant throat ache too, but when my neuro checked my mouth he said there is nothing visible and it is probably a globus sensation nothing else.

Could anyone share their opinions about this? I am especially scared of this localized hotspot.. what do you think about EMG? Should I go ask for second? have anyone had same experience as me?

thank you soo sooo sooo much!.
the fact that I registered here to ask these things means it really brought me to edge and I could not find any other way.
I would probably never doubt the test results because I have huge respect for doctors, but the fact that it did not go as it was planned doubled my worry. I just keep telling myself if there was anything doubtful he had an obligation to tell me, or would not he recheck other hand and leg, or check the spine? Why would he take it unserious if there was anything hinting that things are not going right? on another hand, they are human beings too and they can make error..I am really confused what to think..

best,
sopho

Listen to your doctor.
Get a second opinion from an expert.
See a therapist to help you sort this out in your mind.

The doctor would not lie to you. There are defintely artifacts that make sound. I have had lots of EMGs because I have participated in research as a gene carrier before I had any problems. What you described certainly happened more than once in muscles that even now are unaffected. The doctor told me it was normal and I never worried. You should not worry about it either

Thank you very much for the response. I hope it is really that and nothing more.

One more question: i have a feeling that my hand buzzes constantly at night even. I woke up tonight and had a felling, like it was having it's own heart beat. As it's left hand i sometimes wonder if it is really heart beat but i guess it is not. Visually i could not see any twitches. Is it common to twitch/buzz like this for ALS? Or could it be at BFs too? What u guys think?

I have this feeling in mouth too sometimes - i wake up and i feel like my tongue was twitching or something similar then again nothing..

I think i am going crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back