Learn about ALS
Country
uk
State
uk
City
london
Morning Everyone,

Firstly may l apologise in advance if my post is the same old worried story, when l know there are genuine real sufferers on here. l have read the stickie page but something is still eating up inside me:-(

During the last week or so l have been suffering from pain in the ankles, joints, fingers and feet are numb in the morning and night, also feel quite tired and noticed muscles twiching. l suffer from gout so l thought it would be related, l then ( stupidly) went on google typed all of the above and it came up with MND/ALS as the main symptom!! Well as you can imagine since this day all that l have done is been on the net constantly finding out about the illness how it affects etc. Couple of days later l learnt about the Bulbar onset and what the affected areas are and symptoms, since then l have been fixated on my tongue movements, my swallowing has gone from normal to now struggling to swallow, l am getting stuck on words and l believe l am slurring my speech, my mouth and tongue feel dry, in the morning my throat feels horase. Eating now in the space of a few days have gone from normal to a challenge, and l am always looking at the tongue and noticing, last week it never crossed my mind.

l went to see a local GP at a walk in centre, he basicaly said stop wasting my time ( felt worse than l did) l then made a appointment with my own GP of 25 years, expalined what has been happening. He tested my knees, and ankle reflexes felt my throat, saw tongue and arranged blood tests for Hyperthyroidism ( see him tommorow). l asked about the tongue and body twiching and he said you have worked yourself up to anxiety and prescribed Propanolol, l still insisted about the chance of this illness and he said that in 30 years of a GP he has only seen it twice and he can tell. For a couple of days after the anxiety pills were ok, but last couple of days l am back to how l was feeling, constant observation in my mouth, tongue, swallowing, sore throat and speech.

Im really sorry for this long and sorry post but it has transpired that in a matter of 8 days l have gone from someone with aches and pains into thinking and feeling l have Bulbar onset, judging by my GP l dont think he will refer me to a Neuro, can someone offer me any thoughts??

l am 37 years of age male, in the last two weeks l have lost 8 kilos without obvious , also for some strange reason again dont know if it is the fact that l am now constantly looking at every bit of my body, my arms and legs seem to feel a bit lighter? lost a bit of muscle

Last edited:
Sounds like you are trying to worry your self to death. Go back to being a normal person and just follow your doctors advice. Your complaints do not sound like ALS.

Al

Your complaints do NOT sound at all like ALS, Al is so right. It personally drives me nuts how people can type "twitching" into Google and come up with that with no context whatsoever.

I wont treat you to my "twitching" rent but I want to!

Neurologist

Morning,

After my last post when l mentioned that l was suffering from symptoms and the very good folk on here said that it was more like my anxiety taking over me, l decided to go private and seek help in the form of a consultation from a Neurologist.

As soon as l came in the room and mentioned briefly what l was suffering from AND my stupidity on going on the internet, he laughed and said you dont even come across let alone be thinking of ALS/MND. I expalined that l foolishly went on the net and that l was convinced that l had symptoms, he explained that the mind and especially anxiety is a real illness for some and it can make you believe your own sanity, he then done a full neuro check, and said that please get this feelings out of your head, l expalined to him about a EMG test and he very quickly said it wont be required, l told him about my percieved slurred speech and he said he would not tell me what real slurred sounds like as l will be trying to convince l have this.

Previous to this visit l had my own GP and another doctor tell me that please do not think about this illness and just focus on upcoming things like your wedding, please forgive me guys for my self pity rant, you guys have been really helpfull and l can never thank you enough.

He said one thing which made me think, get help for your health anxiety, since he has seen many patients go down a road that is very hard to get off, if you convince yourself that you have a illness, your mind can be very fine tuned.

I have a appointment with a Physiatrist this week so hopefully l can start to address this demon.

Joel

I am glad you are getting help. Thank you for coming back and letting us know. It is very helpful to other worried people

Best wishes

Function of EMG test

Evening All,

I am due a EMG/NCS next week, can someone please tell me does this test just look for a specific illness or does a clean test mean other illness are ruled out ie neuropathy, carpel tunnel etc.

Cheers

Joel

Mod note- Moved post to original thread. Please keep posting on a single thread. It helps people to see all posts together.

Joel, the EMG will look for any abnormalities in muscles and the nerves that control them, as well as the nerves that control sensation.

Afternoon guys,

Would a EMG of the chin area be sufficient in looking for bulbar onset? I only ask as I have had my report back and it states right tongue: normal. I thought tongue muscle is one, if any abnormalities were to show up then would it have shown?

The report says normal EMG/NCS study. I only ask as I still feel my speech is slurred again no one else has noticed, feel that my anxiety is getting the better of me.

Mark

Yes the chin area is definitely sufficient. Other doctors choose the sternocleidomastoid. Either one alone is fine for ruling out bulbar. You are good to go. Please work with your doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back