Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Mn
City
Minneapolis
Hello, I have a question about bulbar onset ? For the past 10 days, off and on through the day (usually when active or excited) the back of my throat feels clenched the more I talk, and I get a lot of post nasal drip the more I talk too. I thought hypernasality, but I tried the mirror challenge to see if condensation would appear for any consonant or vowel and the only ones that do are m or n. I feel like it goes up my nose or something but my fiance says I sound normal...realize also it seems the more I talk, the more I trip over words like "reward" (comes out weward sometimes).
I just feel like everything from my throat to my lips gets tighter the more I talk. I also clench the front of my teeth when I am having this issue but am not talking.

Ive also had twitching through my body for about a month and maybe two or three on my tongue per day. I went to a neuro who did check my tongue and saw no fascicilations. I can also still drink, swallow, stick my tongue out and touch my nose with it.

I also had trouble with my arm, general heaviness and lack of ability to lift as much as other arm and now it looks like my forearm is atrophying or something cause it indents near my elbow and my other arm doesnt do that. I also cant flex my bicep as hard as the other one, I can flex it..and lifting anything with weight firms it up, but not like my other arm so I assume it is Flaccid muscle paralysis (?) Possibly atrophy? When I did try and work on my bicep, I overdid the work to the point where it was hard and sore for days before going back to where it was...which leads me to question...in muscle atrophy, can you overwork that muscle or will the muscle not even respond to being overworked?
My general deep tendon reflexes were normal, not absent or dramatic, just normal.

It's been near a month since onset of symptoms (fasciculations)...all the other symptoms came one after the other after that. I dont know how practical it is to assume ALS can produce bulbar, muscle wasting, atrophy, and bodywide twitches in 3 weeks without any prior symptoms before.

I would appreciate any answers I can get, and thank you for reading my ..well, issue lol. It really would mean a lot to me to hear from you

It's not, for ALS. But some viruses can, so I'd see an internist next week just to dot the I's.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back