Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Pittsburgh
Looking for some input on what I could possibly be facing…

I am a 30-year-old husband and father of one. My story starts roughly 10 months ago. It began with some weird sensations in my right arm that I would call pins and needles for lack of a better explanation. I also noticed some weakness in my grip and the strength of my wrist appeared to be decreasing. I went to my PCP and he performed a series of strength tests. He noted that the grip on my right hand was noticeably weaker than the grip on my left. I also had been having pressure headaches in the back of my head on the right side. All of this information led him to order a CT scan of my brain and a cervical spine x-ray (both clean). I continued to have the sensations in my arm so I scheduled a follow up.

Between the time of my first appointment and the follow up, I began to have more concerning symptoms. I started to notice weakness in my legs, increased brain fog, burning pain in my biceps (resulting from even the simplest of exercises), and a general feeling of unsteadiness when standing still. Of course, I told my PCP about these symptoms and he was concerned enough to send me to a Neurologist.

We are now into December of 2016 for the first Neuro appointment. At my first appointment she did a full neurological exam (didn’t really give me much input on her findings) and ordered some blood work. I received the bloodwork results a week later, and they noted that I am Vitamin D (15ng/l) and Vitamin B12 (320 pg/ml) deficient. I immediately started 2000IUs of Vitamin D daily and one b12 shot a week. At the next appointment, she performed an EMG and nerve conduction test on all four of my extremities. Her response on this was, “everything looks really good except for some small evidence of carpal tunnel”. She also ordered a cervical spine MRI that came back as “really good with some small evidence of arthritis in the neck”. Her final “diagnosis” is to keep up with the vitamin prescriptions and to manage my stress at all costs (she is well aware that I have anxiety over my health and that I am a bit of hypochondriac).

That was roughly a month ago. I now started to have muscles spasms or vibration feelings in many weird places: right eyelid, right butt cheek, left leg, and occasionally in biceps. I still feel “weak” and lethargic, but I would not call it "clinical" weakness . I also feel slightly unsteady when walking. The spasms and vibrations have me the most concerned. Could this be something as simple as vitamin deficiency mixed with stress or BFS, or is it signs of something worse? I am preparing to make another appointment to discuss these issues, but I am just looking for some input from non-clinical people out there. Thanks!

Nothing you describe is sounding like ALS and your doc has confirmed that which is TERRIFIC NEWS!

I wouldn't jump to a fatal disease at this point. Get that appointment scheduled and let us know how things turn out.

No major update, but I got my follow up blood work back. B12 levels are way up (900 pg/ml), but there was only a minor rise in my Vitamin D levels (20 ng/ml).

My doctors are making a change to the Vitamin D prescription, and they still think any Neuro symptoms that I'm having can be traced back to stress and vitamin deficiency.

You are under the care of a doctor, there are no doctors here. What are you looking for here? We support each other, we have ALS and you don't, why are you here.
Al

Pitt, I think what Al said somewhat bluntly is that you look to be in the clear in re ALS, and we're happy about that. All the best.

--Laurie

Thank you for your mature reply Laurie.

Did these symptoms start when your child was born? Its called scared of leaving a family and not watching your kids grow up. This is not uncommon, infact I suffer from the same thing. Now you have seen a Dr and you were cleared of ALS be happy and live your life. Just remember everytime your kid writes on the wall or puts a toy in the shitter, that there are men and women who will not be able to watch their child grow up. After that donate to ALS research for a cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back