Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Mn
City
Hibbing
Hello, I just have a couple questions regarding reflexes, and was hoping maybe, possibly one of you could provide me a little insight?

I have had body wide occasional fasciculations (about maybe 15 a day) for about a month which have worried me. Not only this, but things seem heavier to pick up with my arm and it strains easy. Since I strained myself, my thenar twitches once in a while...or my shoulder.

I did go see someone about this, and he tested all my reflexes which were normal, as well as strength tests.

I am just curious, I hear that UMN and LMN can present independently or one before the other, I see the reflex tests are to check UMN signs, like clonus, hyperflexing...but I passed that. I have signs of LMN cause of the twtches, and big reflexes are not a sign of LMN..and since weakness is a sign of both, I have nothing to work with.

Your doctor would absolutely be able to differentiate between UMN and LMN affected reflexes. It's one of the quickest ways for a doctor to assess dysfunction, and one of the first things a doctor would check if they were looking for neurological issues.

Okay, thank you. Out of curiosity, when it comes to ALS/BFS twitches, do the noticeable ALS twitches go away with movement or activation of the muscle or sleep? Reason I ask is cause the twitches I do have (which are literally all over from my temple to the arch of my foot with a few 'hot spots') go away completely if I change position, move, or sleep. I keep hearing that is very clinically significant for BFS, but not ALS cause the twitches are persistent and constant regardless...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back