Other
Country
US
State
CA
City
Fresno
Hello all,

Im very sorry to bother you, but i have some concerning symptoms that have been scaring me recently. It started off with clumsiness and weakness in my left hand. Then the twitches began all over my body (arms, hands, legs, back, shoulders, feet, calves, tongue). Some twitch once and go, others twitch for a while and go. Ive had twitching episodes prior to this, but usually they stay at one place (like my eyelid or forearm) After this parts of my body starting feeling heavy. The feeling of weakness seems to have left my left hand, but it still feels clumsy.

On top of that this week the center of my tongue feels like its pulsating and tingling from its center.
I have started to feel as if i am lisping a little, and when i try to form words they seem to feel strange when they leave my mouth. I even stumble over words when talking.

Lastly, I have a tightness/cramping/knot feeling at the top of my stomach by my ribs that began a few days ago and its causing me discomfort. I also havent been able to pass a regular bowel movent in a day or so.

Can anyone let me know their thoughts. Again im so sorry for bothering you in advance and Ill appreciate any help.

Regards,

Kmars

I should note that my wife does not notice any form of lisp or slur. Its just something iven been noticing

I should note that my wife does not notice any form of lisp or slur. Its just something iven been noticing

A couple of things you mentioned that IMO point away from an ALS diagnosis. First you state that the weakness seems to have gone away from your left hand. This would not happen with ALS. Symptoms such as weakness do not come and go away. Also, the quote above. My wife accused me of drinking too much with my slurring. It is very noticeable to others. If you are concerned, you need to follow up with your PCP. We are not doctors so our opinions need to be taken with a grain of salt. Seek professional advice!

It is very true that in ALS, the weakness does not come and go, it comes and stays. It is also not a "feels weak" kind of thing - the weakness just is, and comes on typically without feeling. By that I mean your hand does not feel weak as much as it is simply and usually suddenly unable to do something. Twitches mean nothing. They are very common.

Lastly, your bowel symptoms are no indicator of ALS.

I agree with seeing your Doctor, just don't be worried about ALS while you wait to do so.

Thank you so much for reaching out and soothing a worried stranger. I appreciate so much your willingness to do that. I will be going to my pcp in early march to discuss these symptoms as well as seeking help with some recent and hard hitting anxiety.

Sincerely,

Kristopher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back