Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Middlesex
City
London
Hi,

I've recently been experiencing vibrating in both my feet, it started in my arches and now has moved to the middle of my feet, it's pretty much permanent however does subside from time to time.

I also have fasciculations from time to time in my calves, thighs and other locations on my body.

These have only recently come on in the last week, but I have been suffering with blurred vision and tinnitus since July. I've also been suffering with pains in my shoulders and neck which has been put down to poor posture.

I've had a brain and cervical spine MRI that were clear and have been referred to a neurologist. Problem is that could be an 18 week wait. I got the referral from my spinal consulatant, however my GP said she wouldn't have referred me and puts all my symptoms down to anxiety.

Is this the start of ALS or anxiety as the Dr thinks. If it's anxiety how do you stop yourself being so anxious. I've booked an appointment with a hypnotherapist who I'm hoping might help.

Thanks for any advice given.

Last edited:
Hi
Blurred vision tinnitus neck and shoulder pain aren't symptoms I have heard of in als onset before. That leaves you with twitching and a vibration feeling in your feet. I have no idea on the vibrating feet but the twitches are something that aren't really diagnostic because they occur in lots of things other than als. If your doctor feels anxiety is the cause hopefully she has recommended some counselling or treatment. If not do go back and get some more help with that.

I hope that you find that reassuring. Having someone tell you to relax and not worry about it probably isn't going to help much. Keep yourself busy do things that you really enjoy doing that require concentration, take your mind of it.

Above all stay away from dr google and stay away from here until a doctor gives you some indication that you need to be here. I am not saying that to be unwelcoming, we try to help people if we can. But when there is a possibility that anxiety or stress is the cause, dwelling on symptoms on here can make the situation worse.

Good luck with the doctors and I sincerely hope it all goes well and you can get some relief from your symptoms soon.

Wendy

That's a super good call with regards to seeking relief from anxiety. Keep the appointment for further testing, but definitely work on the worry in the meantime. Also, perhaps seek out a physiotherapist to help you with some exercises for improvement of strength and posture. It serves two purposes- you improve overall health and strength, and provides a baseline of muscle strength that will help you track any changes with function.

Things like tinnitus and odd sensations can be indicative of SO many things. For sure try to get to the bottom of those, but don't assume MND. Neither symptoms would make a health professional put MND to mind ever.

Best of luck

Hi,

Thanks both for your reassuring words, Dr Google definitely has a lot to answer for. I'll keep my appointment for therapy and hope it can help me relax.

In the meantime I'll take your advice and keep off here.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back