Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Tennessee
City
Kingsport
Hello,

I read the sticky about ALS at the top and here are some of my symptoms. A few months ago I began having fasculations, then i began feeling some weakness in one arm, then a week later i felt weakness in the other arm. I deal with general fatigue on a daily basis. I'm wondering if this could be ALS

Does not sound like it. The best first stop to narrow down the possibilities is an internist.

Best,
Laurie

I also have burning svensations from time to time, along with numbness. MRI said the results were atypical for a demylenating disease. I am 25 years of age

Last edited:
Ditto what Laurie said.

Im sorry

Please help me, I am deeply concerned about ALS. I forgot to mention in my previous post that 8 months ago in a vacation i had more symptoms. I had weakness, along with a loss of coordination and anxiety about my mother who had COPD. For the past few weeks, I have seen more and more weakness present itself. I now have upper-limb spasticity, along with somewhat weakness in my right arm. If I raise my hand above my head, I can only hold it for about 30 seconds. I feel like I have clinical weakness. I wish I could find someone to talk to, sorry to all the PALS, i know you're going through a rough time. What else could this be beyond ALS? Please help

Re: Im sorry

I'm so sorry we can't tell you what this could be beyond ALS as we are not doctors. Iooking back at your other post it doesn't sound like ALS. What did your doctor say when you saw them?

Wendy

is there somewhere we can talk privately

I don't know I only normally post messages on the forum.

Blue, please stay on one thread. It makes it easier for people to follow the timeline of your posting.

You have not posted anything about a visit with a doctor and what they think about what your symptoms indicate. If there's anyone you should be speaking with privately, it should be a medical practitioner. Did a doctor tell you you definitely had spasticity? Did they tell you what that might signify? What are your next steps in seeking proper medical care?

my doctor did the "push pull" type of thing and determined i did not have MND based on that. HOWEVER, I just tried to lift a pitcher, and my hand started jerking back and fourth relentlessly. This is strange as i have never experienced this before. It wasn't "weakness in the sense that it felt heavy, but my hand just started jerking back and fourth. Very scary!

"my hand just started jerking back and fourth. Very scary."

Scary but rather common. Lots of reasons for this, so don't leap to a rare fatal disease.
Your posts describing "feeling weak" in one arm and then the other. You described daily general fatigue and twitches.

Those are very common complaints that are NOT ALS.
We are not doctors and won't attempt to diagnose you over the internet, but we know ALS really well, and you did not describe this rare disease at all. In fact, most of what you posted POINTS AWAY from ALS.

Sounds like something easily treatable. Ask your doctor.

UPDATE: just had MRI done with and without contrast. The MRI results were that i had Periventricular Leukomalacia which is due to my Cerebral Palsy. The CP has generally effected my legs more, with very limited effects on the hands and arms. Today muscles in arms feel like they dont want to move, they just feel totally fatigued. I had the MRI done because 8 months ago I thought I may have MS, but without the specific brain lesions that are particular for that disease, it now seems that is eliminated from the possibilities. This seems so strange and so quick, since i didnt have any arm pains 4 or 5 weeks ago, idk what is going on. I am having fasiculations all over the place, and even though some have said they dont think I have this disease, these symptoms are very very concerning. It sure would suck to be diagnosed with this horrific disease at the age of 25, but I'm trying at this point to see what it could be? Keep in mind this is effecting both sides. Just wanted to update people on my situation

The PVL/CP can produce symptoms like this that wax and wane. Since you are already diagnosed with these conditions, it is much more likely that they are the culprits, than a rare 3rd disease, esp. at your age. I would consult with your physiatrist or PT about rehab to reduce their impact on your daily activities.

Best,
Laurie

Does ALS affect the face? I noticed the other day I sudden had facial tightness its still there, i just want to know if ALS can cause it, Thanks

It is weakness and atrophy that are the primary symptoms at onset. I wouldn't consider it an ALS sign. Do continue toward/with rehab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back