Reason
Other
Country
Uni
State
Inverness-shire
City
Nethybridge
Hi. I posted here last June saying that I have bad twitching in left calf and mild twitching else where on my legs. I had an EMG and the report came back as mild denervation on the L5 mytome, he also diagnosed carpal tunnel in both hands.

After having a scan on my lumbar region I was told I have diffuse disc bulge and facet over growth producing stenotic appearances at L4-L5 and more so at L5-S1. There is high grade exit foraminal narrowing from gross facet overgrowth on both L5 roots. The central canal and lateral recesses are narrowed at L4-5 level and there are very tight lateral recesses from disc bulge and annular osteophytes on the S1roots and level below.

So they sent me to the head physio at my local hospital who is seeing me on behalf of the spinal surgeon. She is sending me back to neurology as she believes the twitching is not caused by any back issue I may have.

Other than increased and more wide spread twitching I don't think Ihave any more progression. No noticable weakness and the physio has not mentioned anything about my reflexes.

I thankyou for taking the time to read this and would appreciate any thoughts you may have with this being possible ALS.

Kind regards MIke

An EMG that is only abnormal at one level (L5 in your case, corresponding with the scan) is not suggestive of ALS. I suspect the neuro will disagree w/ the physio as to the probable source of your twitching. I would follow through with treatment for your spinal conditions and expect a reassessment if weakness or other new symptoms occur.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back