Learn about ALS
Country
DE
State
Berlin
City
Berlin
Hi,

I have been reading posts here for a few months and would like yours opinion on my symptoms.

31, male

Started in june 2016: my foot felt limp. I could walk normal but for some reason it felt more difficult. This held for about a month. In the months that followed I started to get mild cramps, mainly in my left calf, twitching in different areas from time to time, stifness and a irritated muscle in my right underarm.

Went to my gp who did some blood tests (were okay) and referred me to a physiotherapist to treat my arm, and I have been to an osteopath. Both indicated a high muscle tone and brisk reflexes. All symptoms never disappeared really and the last months my muscles are faster tired then before with often muscle pain in legs and arms.

Next month I will have an appointment with a neurologist.

Could this be (the early stage of) ALS?

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like it but your neurologist will, no doubt, investigate other things that might be causing your symptoms.

Thank you, we will see

I had a EMG this morning and the results from the blood tests: everything positive. Most likely cause of my symptoms are a combination of a high muscle tone and (due to) anxiety. So for those anxious people like me: you can really have many muscle issues without having a terrible disease. That said, the mentioned issues are not comparable with the issues PALS have to face. So really, clinical weakness, as noted in the sticky, should be the hallmark.

Thank you for reporting back. To clarify, when you say positive results you mean normal or good? ( I suspect a translation issue as in English positive in this context means they found something abnormal)

Since I believe you meant good results I am happy for you!

Last edited:
I'm sorry, indeed a translation issue, they found nothing abnormal. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back