I'm sorry in advance for asking, but it's been bugging me. Do think I have ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c3ypt1c

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Yorkshire
City
Rotherham
I know a lot of people have it a lot worse than me (and I'm sorry to hear it) but I just need reassurance or just someone to tell me what they think. I'm generally worried about myself, and this is my last resort to getting at least a little bit of comfort.

I'm 16, male, with no known family history of neurological problems. This includes ALS. I don't participate in any sport, run, walk etc. as I am more of a person who prefers to stay inside.

For about a month, I have found myself unable to keep my arm above my shoulder. It just suddenly happened overnight. Prior to this, I had several painful twitches near my shoulder blade. I know that twitches don't mean ALS, but I do not know what is relevant at this point. There is no pain now and it seems to me that the shoulder blade is frozen. The reason why my shoulder blade might be paralyzed is beginning to scare me. The only way I can lift my arm above my head is to lower my head to the left and raise the whole of my shoulder upward to compensate for the shoulder blade not being able to move my whole arm up.

I have been to my GP today and she said my problem was "puzzling" under her breath (I don't think she intentionally meant to say it to me). She said she would refer me to another doctor. This caused me to start over thinking more than I have previously. The visit wasn't very reassuring, but I guess that's better than to give me false hope.

Any reply you give is highly appreciated. Love is given free of charge to those who do.
Thank you.

Nothing you describe sounds like ALS. Frozen shoulder is actually a thing that can be corrected with physical therapy. What type of doctor have you been referred to?

Thank you for replying, Christine.

I have read that ALS often involves muscle weakness or stiffens as early symptoms. I assumed that it was to do with this, but your words have helped lift a weight.
Also, I wasn't informed of what specialty my doctor will be.

Thank you again,
Lukasz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back