Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NM
City
Albuquerque
Hello all. Thank you for your time and for helping those with this terrible disease or not giving into it if you are battling it. The reason I am writing is I have had unusual symptoms. Two days ago, my leg suddenly went numb at the knee and below to my foot. I had intermittent numbness, tingling and pain throughout with a few twitches here and there. I get these pains on my calf and just below it for a second or two, it stops for ~ 5 seconds then comes back. This can go on for an hour and the pain is around a 5. Could be short cramps. Then I occasionally get similar pains for a shorter duration (~1 min) behind my knee and on my thigh. This all surfaced while sitting at work. The symptoms have not subsided since they began.

I know the odds, but does ALS start with all these symptoms at once or is there a progression? I figured the pain would come after the twitching has occurred for awhile.

I am having anxiety over this, obviously, or I wouldn't be seeking your advice. Any help is greatly appreciated. God bless you and yours.

Well, it sounds like nerve compression/circulatory stuff due to posture or long term sitting. I highly doubt you're suffering from a terminal degenerative disease like ALS based on the symptoms you have listed. A physio or massage therapist is your best bet for sorting it out.

Agreed, see an orthopedic surgeon with a focus on the knee if the pain/numbness does not subside, and meanwhile re-evaluate your sitting posture wherever you sit (home, work, transit).

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for the reply. The numbness and pains below the knee are about the same with the addition of some pinprick sensations. The ones in the thigh and behind the knee are more frequent and seem too be migrating closer to my hip. My legs are so fatigued as well. Is leg fatigue an ALS symptom in early stages?
I read several posts who said the pain from cramps felt different but didn't go into detail. What do the muscle pains/cramps from ALS feel like? Also, is the pain just related to the cramps or is there general pain without cramping.

Given the new sysmptons, should I pursue a consult to neuro to rule out ALS and have them evaluate my symptoms?

I would see an orthopod, who can distinguish (possibly via testing as well) between musculoskeletal and neurological causes for your symptoms. Your other questions are too abstract for helpful answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back