Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Union city
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. About 1 1/2 months ago I started having twitches. These are mild and usually last a second or 2, sometimes a bit longer. They're generally in my leg area and occasionally in my arms and back. I didn't think much of it until I started researching last week that it's a symptom of als. I also read symptoms include dropping things or difficulty picking things up. After reading about that, I noticed the last few days that when I went to pick up a pen or a coin that I didn't pick it up on the initial try, but was able to next time. Could this be my hands getting weaker? Or could it be the stress and anxiety worrying about als? Over the last month and half before I started reading up on als I didn't feel weaker and improved at the gym. Do twitches start first and then weakness?

Mod note: moved thread to dihals

How old are you? Have you seen a doctor yet for your concerns or just looked up symptoms on Google? Do you have anxiety issues?

Twitching doesn't mean anything. If you had ALS you wouldn't improve.

Hi Christine,

I'm 31 years old. I do get health anxiety when things pop up and I end up checking google. I went to see my primary care doctor. He said he didn't think it was als, since he said the twitches sounded random. He also checked a couple of things like asking me to grab his hand, try to prevent him from pushing my arms down. That was Friday, then on sat and sun I noticed a few times I failed to pick a few things up on the first try. I'm worried he missed something. Are you saying if it's als that if I failed the first time I would also fail the 2nd and 3rd?

Yes. And the far more common scenario is that you need hydration, electrolytes, less stress and/or more regular sleep. Grab a fruit smoothie, stay off screens and hit the hay early tonight.

Best,
Laurie

Additional Concerns...

Hello everyone,

I've mentioned in a previous post that I've had twitching for 2 months and have drop things with my right hand. I still have some concerns, and would appreciate any advice.

How often would you need to drop things for you to constitute this as a potential concerning symptom for ALS? Since dropping things is listed as a symptom in certain websites. Is it constantly dropping things like several times a day? I've dropped things about 4 times over the last week.

I don't have issue the second or third attempt, but seems like occasionally things just slip out of my hands. Coupled this will twitching and I am highly concerned and stressed out.

Re: Additional Concerns...

What is your point? Everyone drops thinks. If you are concerned go see your doctor, and stay away from the web sites,they will only cause you stress and concern.

Thank you for responding. I was wondering if you're dropping things, coupled with twitching if this could be early indication of als? I can do day to day activities just occasionally I'm dropping things coupled with twitching

I drop things all the time. My muscles twitch and react spontaneously at times. My father also died from ALS.

I don't have ALS and chances are highly likely you don't either. Bring your concerns to a doctor but don't ask "Do I have ALS?" Let them figure out if there's really a problem.

Thanks Christine. I've seen my primary care doctor. I think I'm just a constant worrier and wanted some verification on top of what my doctor said. Thank you again for the feedback.

Mod note: Please stick to one thread. I have merged your two threads for continuity and to keep your posting history in one place. Please do not open another thread.

thx

Hi all,

I ended up going to a neurologist. He asked some questions about the twitching and did some reflex test (with that hammer) and strength test. He indicated this to be normal. He said we could do a EMG depending on how concerned I am, but he suggested to monitor it and he'll follow up in 6 months. I'm not sure if he's just being extra careful? Since he mentioned that people he has diagnosed with ALS generally have abnormalities on top of the twitching like atrophy, hyperereflexia or weakness. He also mentioned that twitching in ALS is typically localized due to the muscles dying or something like that.

He even went on to talk about benign twitching and some potential causes and how he used to twitch in college. He wouldn't say that I didn't have any diseases or the twitching was benign. He only mentioned that lets monitor it, that he didn't want to do unnecessary EMG for the sake of doing it, that things look normal as of today. Does it sound like good news and he's being extra careful, or should I worry since he didn't seem to rule anything out yet?

If there was ANY question, he would have referred you for an EMG immediately. That's very good news for you!

Very good news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back