Unread 01-08-2017, 06:33 AM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Pontypridd
State: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Nat440749 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Concerned

Hi everyone,
For the past year I have cared for my Grandmother who died 2 weeks ago fromMotor Neurone Disease.
Since then, I have had an increasing weakness in my left hand, it feels extremely stiff in the morning, tingles throughout the day and I keep dropping things like my keys and hairbrush.
I have other symptoms such as aching legs and twitches, but I have read the sticky note and other posts and understand these are not indicative of MND, and so I can attribute these to stress/anxiety.
However, the stiffness and weakness in my left hand is getting worse and has done over the last week - my right hand is also getting similar symptoms.
I have no other family history of MND. I'm 29 years old. The doctors failed to diagnose my Grandmother until 8 months after her symptoms had started, so I am unsure what to do now.
Any advice would be appreciated, and I really do know how difficult it is for PALS and CALS to take the time to reply - my heart goes out to you all.
Thanks.
Nat440749 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2017, 02:33 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
lgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud oflgelb has much to be proud of
Default Re: Concerned

Hi, Nat, I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

ALS generally doesn't progress as quickly or in the pattern you describe, nor skip generations if it is inherited. As you know, there is stress and anxiety in losing someone, but there is also that in having cared for someone -- both physically and mentally -- and sometimes you won't realize the toll on your body until it's over.

If the weakness in your hands flat out keeps you from daily activities -- if there are things you cannot do -- then as with anyone, we would advise you to see your GP. But at the same time, it's good to keep an open mind, do things that make you happy, including time with friends, and give yourself time to grieve and to some extent recover from the year you've had. She would want you to live your life to the fullest.

Best,
Laurie
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2017, 03:14 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to behold
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to beholdAtsugi is a splendid one to behold

Hi Nat, I wanted to chime in. Sorry about your grandmother. You know we understand that pain well.

I don't see in your post any reason to think you might have MND. Also, having one relative with MND does NOT increase your chances of getting it.

Most importantly, I recommend sharing your concerns with a GP doctor. Let them figure out if you need a therapist and/or some medical work up.

But in the meantime, don't worry about MND. Good luck. And don't forget to enjoy life.
Atsugi is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2017, 03:52 PM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you both for replying, and for your advice.
I have made an appointment with the GP to speak about my anxiety, as it seems that this is the only real issue here.
My best wishes to you all.
Nat440749 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
advice, anxiety, cals, diagnose, family, family history, heart, mnd, stiffness, stress, symptoms, twitches, weakness