Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CT
City
hartford
Good morning and Happy New Year. I’ve posted a couple of times but wanted to get some feedback and your opinions on a couple of things as I’m a little confused even though I have read the stickys so I’ll apologize up front. I fully planned on having a great week off last week but it’s been mired in worrying about possible symptoms of ALS. You all have been so kind in your responses so I’m hoping you can show the same kindness to me even though it may be old hat and you may think I’m being a hypochondriac but it’s a tough time for me and I just can’t seem to shake these feelings of depression and fragileness I’ve been feeling.

Last week I was at lunch and we were talking about a colleague of ours who had been diagnosed with ALS and they started to talk about the symptoms, etc. and just at that time my hand shook a little bit and I had the glass slip a little in my hand, nothing more, but this set off a chain of events. I then started to feel some weakness in my right arm and started to really focus on that area which I have done for almost 10 days now. I have to admit that I have had a few drinks each night to “forget” that feeling as it seems to be perceived pain (I’ll explain more later)

As a coincidence, I had an appointment with my ortho for a cortisone shot last Monday and I asked him about ALS and he says that he’s been there 9 years and has never seen a case and I should worry about many other things. I left feeling a little better but still not convinced. The next day I went to my GP and saw her and she did some neuro strength tests and said that I didn’t need a referral to a neuro as I had good strength (she tested both legs and my arms). She thinks it has a lot to do with anxiety and that my head is making my arm weak (perceived). She prescribed some anti anxiety pills to help out.

I also made an appointment to see a psych which I did on Wed and he was much to the same thought process and to just move on with things, etc.

I even went to a physical therapist yesterday and did arm strength tests on a dynamometer which came back as equal and good on both hands.

The problem is it’s like groundhog day. Each day I wake up with this feeling of perceived weakness in my arm and am constantly doing strength tests and shaking my hand to ensure I can still do things. I’m even going to the point of unbuttoning and buttoning a dress shirt each day to make sure I can still do this. Things seem to be getting a little better each day but I start to go along and then I feel some weakness in my arm and it hits me like a punch in the stomach.

To end, I want to apologize in advance as I know this seems like a dumb post and I’m sure I’ll get railed on for posting it but I wanted to come to people that may understand what’s going on and more importantly, give me some reassurance on somethings.

For example, “if you’re hitting the weight room and buttoning shirts, etc. then you’re fine”, kind of thing.

I guess my biggest thing to get over this is that I have this perceived weakness that I fear will lead to clinical weakness, etc. and thereon. I’m just so unsure of exactly what to look for and the series of when things happen is that I’m more confused. I’ve read that muscle atrophy will happen and then twitching and then I’ll start to drop things, etc.

I’m 48 and have 2 little ones and my days seem to be getting mired in this feeling of anxiety. I’ve always been a pretty healthy guy and anything that’s wrong with the me the doctor will do a test and rule it out but this seems to have hit me way harder and differently.

Thank you in advance for any time you can take out of your day to help me out. I appreciate it.

All of the answers are in your own post. It's anxiety, the Doctors said. You are fine except for your anxiety, you have been told. Anxiety impairs your ability to see/believe the obvious, so please do keep treating your anxiety. The other thing you can do for yourself is to stay OFF this site. Nothing could be comforting for you in being here, and there are numerous people here with ALS and their loved ones for whom this site is intended. I would say "read the stickies", but honestly I think if you have not done that an even better idea is just to believe your Doctors, work with your anxiety and stay off not only this site but the topic of ALS. Best wishes, hope you feel better soon.

I'm going to be even more direct than Lenore. I read your earlier thread, and even there you suggest that your problems are psychosomatic. When you spend time with your friend, you start to imitate your friend's symptoms.

You readily admit that, but ask us to repeat our reassurances.

People here are trying to support each other through a truly horrific situation. Our PALS lack the strength to spend time reassuring healthy people, and our CALS lack the time and emotional energy. Please stop now. We don't need to be retyping things you've already read.

If you have further concerns, please check with your doctor. This is not what we are here for.

Best of luck.
Becky

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back