Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WA
City
Renton
Let me start by saying this scared feeling doesn't come from a place of randomness.

My dad has ALS.

I am 32 years old and in august, my back tweaked while at work (just walking). Three days later, I had an ulnar nerve issue which left two fingers numb for 4 weeks. Since then, I have consistently had ulnar nerve achy-ness in both arms and twitching in my shoulders, back and legs (calves and upper legs).

We believe my dad has bulbar onset since that's what everyone has been saying. But he was never checked for the gene. So it could be familial? No one else in our family has had this.

Of course, all I am thinking is ALS. I had a neuro appt, but chickened out and cancelled it. I'm building a house and getting married next year. I have a two year old son that I want to see grow up.

Everyone I talk to, even my fiancé has no sympathy. He brushes it off as it's nothing. I don't know what to do.

If you are experiencing troubling symptoms, go see a doctor first and foremost. They can examine you and speak with you about causes for symptoms. While the people here are helpful, a real live doctor who can see what's bothering you is infinitely better for resolving worrisome symptoms. As you know, if you read the "READ BEFORE POSTING" message on this forum, twitching and tingling are not indicative of ALS. Like a cough is not indicative of lung cancer, or a headache indicative of a brain tumour. There are many things that twitching and tingling indicate.

Familial ALS means multiple people in your family would have to be diagnosed with ALS. A single family member means it's sporadic.

Please visit with a doctor if you are consumed by worry. You may be depriving yourself of reassurance and help with your symptoms and causing yourself unnecessary worry by not seeking proper medical care.

Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back