Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Never thought I'd be posting to the an ALS board, although I am getting a bit baffled and nervous.

For the past year, about once a month or every other month, I'd just randomly drop something I was holding. In a way that felt weird, like there was no real cause for me to be doing that.

In the past week, I've started having problems with the big toes on my feet, more my right than my left. Randomly, I can't make the big toe go "up". Like, I can curl it down, but it just won't go up or move in that direction at all. This will last a few hours or so, and then it'll be fine again (and my shin muscle or around my ankle is sore), and then it'll happen again. It's like a cycling thing that's really ramped up over the last few days.

This morning, I could grip my hands, but there wasn't any strength there... like I could make the form of a fist but couldn't really clench it tight. A little while later, the strength seemed to come back but something deep in my forearms felt sore (both at once). Nothing I did the day before would have precipitated it. It kind of relieved itself for the day, but now at night I'm feeling a bit of the same thing return; particularly in my right hand with my ring and pinky finger like there's a bit of a "connection" missing?

I won't be able to see a doctor for at least a month, but I'm hoping to nix out the possibility of early ALS symptoms.

Thank you for your time.

...A

It is very unlikely. We cannot rule it out via the Net. Keep your appt. but try not to stress. Meanwhile, I would try static stretches such as in Tai Chi morning and night, a hot tub, maybe a massage, and re-evaluate your sleep setting.

I drop something from my right hand a few times a week with no rhyme or reason...

In ALS, the strength does not come back. It goes and it stays gone. LIke Laurie, I drop things pretty regularly. We can't diagnose here, but sure does not sound like ALS to me. Good luck with your appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back