Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Mass
City
Boston
Dear all, ty in advance for taking the time to read my thread, i appreciate it. I'm very ill with little to no answer why. My symptoms began in feb. 2014 with a major panic attack followed by the unleashing of several symptoms- back of the head pressure, trouble swallowing, ears feeling blocked, chest pressure, rib soreness, tingling in arms and hands, twitching, jaw ache, hard to chew, neck soreness, constant burping. I had a TON of testing done including 2 neuro exams one of them was with an als neurologist at the MGH ALS clinic in Boston. She said this was not the way ALS presents. After spinal tap, emg and everything else I had no diagnosis. I continued to decline until I went on Iv rocephin for 2 months and then shortly after either went into some type of remission or reversal. I did have some residual symptoms like pins and needles and twitching, muscle fatigue but I was able to return to most of my normal activity. This was June 2015.

I became pregnant and had my daughter July 2016, healthy pregnancy no issues. 4 weeks postpartum symptoms began to resurface and have been relentless ever since. There is definitely progression. There is twitching everywhere including rib cage. Whatever muscle I use just a little then twitches and feels weak. Pins and needles/burning feeling in mid back/rib cage area which wraps around to my diaphragm area which is where I have been getting sharp pains at certain times when I breathe in. At first, it was just after a strenuous activity like a walk or a jog (very minimal) but now it is everyday. My o2 sat is at 98 but I'm not sure of my co2. I also have constant burping all day like there is a ton of excessive/trapped air.

Also have very very stiff joints, specifically my knees. I have to ease out of bed in the am, my legs are so stiff. My jaw all the way up to my ear also feels stiff. One side of my face will sometimes feel numb. My hands and feet often go numb. My abilty to move around is limited due to stiffness. My knees feel like they are carrying too much weight.

My fingers and other parts of my body jerk randomly.

Constantly feel dehydrated

Feel lots of pressure on my chest when laying down, I usually now sleep somewhat upright.

I can still button a shirt but my hands feel weak.

I had another emg done at the ALS clinic a month ago that came back normal. I'm scheduled to get another opinion at the Lahey clinic/neurology in Burlington ma in February.

Your thoughts on possible ALS would be greatly greatly appreciated. TY

please read the stickies before posting.

Whatever is happening with you, it's not ALS with a normal EMG. The mods will also move your thread to the DIHALS section no doubt as you are not newly diagnosed. Best wishes for finding answers, but ALS it's not.

Last edited:
Oops sorry. I'm typing from a smart phone meant to place in DIHALS.

If emg was not done on chest/rib cage/back area could that be missed? This is the worst location symptom wise. The emg was done on legs and arms.

Agree not ALS. MGH is the best. I doubt Lahey will tell you differently. Did the MGH doctor suggest any avenue?

Why the rocephin? Question of Lyme? Have you seen infectious disease or rheumatology? I would be looking in those directions since MGH cleared you and your symptoms don't sound like ALS. Stop asking about ALS and ask your doctors what is wrong with me instead

No, it wouldn't be missed. Doctors look at your symptoms and test where it's called for. If your fingers are stiff, anywhere along that nerve pathway(from neck to fingers) would show nerve damage, should it be ALS.

You have been cleared of ALS- which is wonderful news. While your symptoms must be of concern to you, you must look outside of Motor Neuron Disease to find out what is causing your symptoms.

Best wishes

I have asked, and asked and asked..they don't know. I treated clinically for Lyme with the rocephin but cdc Lyme test came back negative. ALS dr suggested it was maybe fibro however this just seems too aggressive and degenerative to be fibro. I do recognize her specialty is ALS so beyond that she can't really make the call.

I Appreciate your insight, just thought getting your opinion would be helpful.

I stopped reading when you said your symptoms went away.

That's not ALS.

I have read that there were rare instances when people with ALS went into some type of short remission and also read that rocephin was once a clinical trial for ALS.

Except that you do not describe ALS. You had a neurologist from Mass Gen, who are among the best of the best, tell you that ALS doesn't present in the way you are describing and several knowledgeable members of this forum said that it doesn't sound like ALS.

You have something going on but it is NOT ALS. Work with your docs but don't hem them in to MND/ALS. Let them figure out what is going on.

Best of luck to you.
Tracy

Rocephin FAILED in clinical trials. It does not help ALS

Clean emgs can be wrong?

Can someone explain to me why there are cases of people that have several clean emgs and then go on to get diagnosed with ALS. People here have said no abnormal emg=no ALS.

Re: Clean emgs can be wrong?

Kindly refer to the sticky read before posting. It is answered there.
Also please do not post out of the DIHALS subforum

Re: Clean emgs can be wrong?

A. Where did you see this, specifically? EMGs are not perfect, but someone getting properly diagnosed with ALS after actually having "several EMGs" that had no signs of ALS would seem pretty impossible to me. So I would like to address the exact post you're referring to.

B. You don't have ALS.

C. I'm moving this to your original thread. Please use only one thread. This keeps the whole history together.

Aaronathy"s post states he had 2 clean emgs and was later diagnosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back