Learn about ALS
Country
SG
State
-
City
Singapore
Hi all,

I would like to first start off by saying that our thoughts and prayers are with you. In the past couple of months, I have been increasingly worried about my condition. I understand that I'm 19 and that ALS is extremely, extremely unlikely in my case, but my symptoms are starting to concern me.

It started off with muscle twitching near my buttocks. That lasted for hours. Not long after, I experienced twitching all over my body, including my calves, which twitched for more than 7 hours straight one afternoon.

I won't deny that I am partially a hypochondriac (I was diagnosed with a Lisfranc injury not long ago), so I have been slightly more hyper aware. Please do stop me if you think that my concerns are unfounded and if I should stop worrying.

My symptoms:
- Muscle twitching (full body including face, started 3 months ago)
- No clinical weakness diagnosed (by a junior medical doctor, scheduled to see a neurologist in 2 weeks)
- Fatigue and brain fog (had it for a few years) (cleared up after an operation that I did 2 months back - bankart repair (I know, have been extremely fragile these years), could it possibly be due to an infection that got cleared up by the antibiotics?)
- Insomnia (had it for a few years, also cleared up after the surgery)
- Odd lump in throat feeling (started a week back), no difficulty swallowing but my throat feels like a strep throat (just without the pain), no flu (not that I know of), but it feels like there's quite a bit of mucus at the back of my throat
- Brisk reflexes, my doctor gave me a small tap on both of my knees and I kicked out on both sides - is it true that symmetrical brisk reflexes have no bearing on an MND diagnosis but suggests a neuromuscular problem?
- My MRI (w/o contrast) appears to be fine, but it has only been reviewed by the radiologists and not the neurologist
- Did a thyroid test and a blood test and they appeared to be fine, though my calcium seemed to be on the higher end of the normal range (internal medicine is ruling out hypocalcemia)

According to the junior doctor, my EMG and NCS appeared to be clean, but she wants to double check with the senior doctors first. I will only be getting my verdict in a few weeks time.

Is it possible that I have MND? Or considering the fact that my EMG and NCS are clean and there's still no perceived muscle weakness that I should not be worried about this? It's been a relatively tenuous time for me as I'm waiting to enter college (currently serving in the military - conscription) and a health concern could change quite a few things for me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time out to help me with my worries.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have anxiety and an obsession with illness. You are not describing ALS which is great news. You're young, get out there and live and enjoy life!

Nup not the least bit possible what is happening is ALS or any MND.

Please let the doctors do what they need to do instead of trying to convince you have something you do not. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back