Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
Have had a spastic/rigid muscle above the knee for a while now. But now I'm having a problem with foot drop/drag - about two months. Have tripped and actually fallen twice, but most of the time it just causes me to stumble.

Went to family doctor - no noted issues, referred to neuro.

Took a few weeks. Neuro thinks my balance is slightly off, noted mild clonus in the right foot, and my reflexes on the right side are just plain creepy. I didn't know what hyperreflexia was until that checkup. Perceived weakness but only slight - I can't flex the right foot the same, it's not quite as strong, but it isn't bad by any means.

Because of my age (39) and gender (female) she assumed MS. Ordered MRI stat and had an MRI later that week.
But, upper MRI and brain MRI show no lesions at all, so no MS.
So, last week we did an EMG to see if I had some kind of unknown nerve communication issue. No. Clean EMG.

No back pain. No pain at all.
She told me I can get a second opinion but that she sees no defineable disease.
Okay. Makes sense. But last night my leg, right above the knee, began spasming. It didn't last long at all (a few minutes) and no pain. Today the leg is crazy. It is twinging every 15 seconds or so.

This doesn't sound like ALS does it? I am so sorry to those of you who have it and I feel like a big jerk getting on here and asking these questions. :(

But, I have eleven kiddos, most of them very young, and I think I'm probably just anxious, right? But I really feel like I might need a second neuro to look at everything. But, with the new year starting our medical deductible all over again, I don't want to be the one to uselessly wrack up the bills.

So I guess my questions are - no pain - is that good or bad? Clonus - I can't find that that can be normal, but can it? It isn't nearly as exaggerated as on youtube - it is only on the bottom of my foot, not the whole lower leg.

Does it sound like ALS? No. Try some hot tubs/showers and when your new deductible kicks in, consider a visit to an orthopod, who might order PT. It sounds like you have neglected an injury, and are now paying the price.

I would be doing leg exercise every day -- heel/toe raises, small kicks, half bends, that kind of thing. You might also try some magnesium lotion.

Enjoy the holidays with your family.

Best,
Laurie

Clean EMG = NO ALS& lucky you!

Not so lucky for the troubles you are having, all the best to you getting it sorted out but please scratch ALS off your list of concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back