Not open for further replies.

BertS

Country
US
State
VA
City
Oriskany
Hi, this is my first post here. I am concerned about my girlfriend's symptoms. She is 21 and to my knowledge has a normal medical history. Her first symptoms appeared about 2 years ago, her legs got wobbly and she fell a few times. She says it feels like her legs just give out on her. I told her to go to a doctor then, but she refused. Now, 2 years later, the falls have become more frequent. She finally agreed to see a doctor, she went on Monday. The GP noticed her wobbly walk, and at first said she may have an unhealed knee or hip injury. Then he tested her grip and noticed her right hand was significantly weaker then her left, she is right handed. At this point he said this and her walking problems were likely neurological. He also noted a complete lack of reflexes in the legs and arms. After doing some research I am really scared this could be MS or ALS, although from what I have read ALS causes exagerrated reflexes, or am I wrong? I haven't told her about anything that I have read, I don't want her to worry anymore than she already is. We have an appointment with a neurologist on Oct 10.

No Reflexes NO ALS.

She likely has MS at her age, but MS is treatable.

Rgds,

Jamie

Hi,

How scared you must be. Please let us know what you find out from the neuro. God Bless you, Peg

Just to reiterate again...NO Reflexes NO ALS.

I don't think you will find one ALS patient here that started out with absent reflexes.

However, you need to look at MMN, this mimics ALS, but the major difference is NO Reflexes. I know this sounds crazy, but be glad she has NO reflexes. It usually means something treatable.

Demand an EMG from the neuro.

Good Luck

Rgds,

jamie

Hi Bert- sorry to hear your girlfriend is having so much trouble. It is good that she's been referred to an ALS clinic, since the disease is so rare (rarer in younger folks) that local docs cannot always tell. Also, prepare yourself for the fact that there is no test for ALS. They will have to rule out everything else, and this could take time. Some of us have been trying for weeks and months to get a DX.

We try to share our information gained from research and comparing symptoms, but at the end of the day even the docs have a hard time pinning some of this down. You are welcome to hang around while she is going through this process. glad you found us. Cindy

Bert - Cindy definitely has the best advise on this one. Nobody can tell, no symptoms are the same for anyone, and even many times the docs don't know. So it may be a long haul. Hopefully your girlfriend will be "typical" for whatever is going on with her and they can diagnose it right away. As far as reflexes, weakness, sensory problems.....well, like I said, everyone is different, some have had them and some have not. A good als clinic will ease your mind and help with diagnosis. Good luck.

You should also stop reading, you are going to scare yourself and alot of things start running through your head. You will probable analyze everything she is doing. It is probably something treatable.
Like everyone said no reflexes is a great sign.
Believe me I wish that i never started reading....

Hi Bert,
You are receiving some good advise from these wonderful folks. Less than one (1) month ago I was lost and definately had ALS. Today largely due to the vision and input of the helpful people on this forum, I could have a multitude of conditions other than ALS.

The very best advise I received over the past three weeks came in two parts.

A) Common illnesses are most common. Sounds far too logical, does it not? However, it is absolutely true. ALS is a very rare illness something like 1 in 10,000 people. Conversely, the symptoms are extremely common.

B) Cross bridges as you come to each bridge, not before. There are many bridges ahead of you and your girlfriend at the moment. Sadly, it seems when the medical field runs out of bridges, the destiny becomes more inclined to be ALS.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Out
Sandy

Hi Sandy ~ Thanks, I really like the bridge analogy. I'm going to use that one a lot for me and my husband, Eric. It has been so hard waiting for a diagnosis. For now, we'll stay off the bridges until we need to cross them. :)

I love light bulb moments! Thanks again!
Pam B in Va

Thank you for all of your responses and advice. She hasn't been referred to an ALS clinic, just a neurologist. I'm just praying this is something we can get through and get on with our life.

I have deep sympathy for anyone affected by this disease. Just the thought of ALS shakes me to my core.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again,
Bert

MS also often elicits faster reflexes. This sounds like an autoimmune disease to me. GP's are, by and large, not really equiped to handle such a diagnosis. The neurologist should know what tests to run.

I strongly suspect this is something treatable, but it would have been far better to go to the doctor 2 years ago. Falling is not a benign symptom and always needs to be looked into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back