Other
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Good morning to all.

The symptoms started back in May. First, I noticed Atrophy in my left hand with pain here and there. A few weeks ago I started having muscle Atrohpy in my forearm with very bad pain. I can easily feel the bone in my left arm where it folds compared to my right arm. My arm feels heavy and has aching pain that comes and goes.

The pinky finger in that had has become a little stiff but I can still move it very well. I don't feel too much weakness in that arm/hand but there is a little bit.

I've also noticed that when I talk my jaw gets sore. I've noticed my mouth becoming dry at times and other times I spit when I talk. I've also noticed a foul taste in my mouth at times. I've noticed some nights I wake up drenched in sweat. I also have had a stick neck here and there for the past year.

I had my appointment with the Neurologist. He said my arms looked symmetrical and I had no clinical weakness. My reflexes all were good.

He ordered a MRI and blood work. And he said an EMG just to confirm things.

He kept telling me over and over again that this was NOT ALS and he was 99.9% sure. He said he would've had been able to tell if that was an option from the test he did there.

while I was getting my EMG the doctor said he didn't see anything I should be worried about and that it was clean.

I looked at the results today as they were made available, and all normal except:

The left ulnar motor nerve showed prolonged distal onset latency ( 3.1ms )

A few months have gone by and I still have full function in all my extremities but I still feel like my Muscles are Atrophying. Several places now. My hands, arms, legs and shoulders. I'll attach a picture of my legs. I fear this could be ALS.

Attachments

• IMG_3644.jpg
    IMG_3644.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,444
  • IMG_3539.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_3660.jpg
    IMG_3660.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_3661.jpg
    IMG_3661.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 302
Hi Bobby
Distal latency is part of the nerve conduction test, it is quite often normal in mnd. Having that result does not point to ALS.

I don't see anything to worry about in your photos, but I am not a doctor. Most people have differences in body measurement from left to right. It's not significant unless you have a baseline to start with and can see a difference over time. Your doctor would have noted it if you had atrophy.

From what you have said you have a clean clinical exam and a clean EMG. This means you don't have ALS. You do seem to have a great deal of anxiety though and need to work with your doctors to address this.

I am saying this in the kindest way possible. Being on here is bad for you as it will just fuel you fears and make your anxiety worse.

Wendy x

Thanks Wendy for the response.

You asked the ncs question before and I told you what Wendy did. She gave you excellent advice above. I am closing this thread and I ask you no more posts unless you are told of a new finding that the neuro deems significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back