Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Kingston
Hi all.

I want to share with you all a bit of my story. I am a 27 year old male, otherwise healthy, and I've recently started experiencing some weird symptoms that I do not recognize from before. After doing the terrible thing of looking on the internet (Dr. Google) what they may be, I ended up here, needless to say frightened.

About 6 weeks ago I started feeling cold spots on my feet, as if I stepped on something wet, only to later find out it was dry. Also, I felt like the area around my knee cap went numb, but it was not completely numb, just a change of sensation. Also occasionally I would wake up at night with completely numb. That went on for about 3 weeks, and has subside a little bit.

Recently I've developed generalized twitching all over my body, face, hands, legs, feet, shoulder, and the list goes on and on. One minute here, one minute there, but It never quite stops. Also as of last night, I have been feeling a muscle ache on my shin, as if I worked out or ran a couple miles, but again, I did not. And my right hand became sore, around my wrist, kind of like the type of pain you would get from doing a lot of push ups. I don't feel muscle weakness, at least nothing that I can truly identify, besides the fact of the twitching and odd sensation on my feet, muscle ache down left leg, and minor aches on my right hand. I went to my GP and he is referring me to a Neurologist, but I am not sure when thats going to take place, so in the mean time, I am scared. I am going through a rather stressful period in my life, 2 close family members have been diagnosed with Cancer, and I am just breaking down with anxiety and stress. I know the symptoms I have may resemble those of other benign conditions, but I just can't help to wonder If what I have may be something more serious such as ALS.

Thank you all for reading, I will be waiting to hear back from some of you, as I am at the point of crisis here. If you have any questions about other details, I can provide them.

Rey.

Hi Rey
Numbness, cold spots and muscles aching don't point to ALS, you have twitching which could be caused by lots of things including stress.
There is a post at the top of the forum called Read Before Posting. If you read through it, it goes through all the common worries and you should find it reassuring.
Good luck with your doctors visit

Wendy

Thank you for your reply Wendy.

Can anybody else give me some insights? I'd like to hear back from other users also, if that is ok. Thank you in advance, I understand it can be hard to reply, just something short would be sufficient. Thank you

You can be sure if we disagreed with Wendy someone would have said so. Wendy is correct as is the sticky which, although written by one member ,was reviewed by several, edited a few times and has been there to be read. If PALS and CALS disagreed we would have looked at it again. The only people who argue about it are those without ALS

thank you Nikki, I sure don't disagree, I did read the sticky at the top, just wanted to hear back from a couple of users regarding what I wrote, because it is a real concern to me, and I wanted to speak to knowledgeable people about it. Thank you all again for your time, I sincerely appreciate it and wish you all the absolute best!

Please try to remember the people here are either dealing with a terminal disease, many typing with their eyes, or if lucky one finger. Or they are caring for a terminal person, or recovering from having done that.

You don't have ALS symptoms, I hope that 3 senior members answering you resolves that for you now. All the best.

thank you for your reply. I respect all of you, thank you for taking the time to reply

I know it is not well seen to post on this forum looking for reasurance, but i dont know how soon my neuro appointment will be, or if I should make my GP push for an earlier appointment. Besides twitching, i now have leg cramping, only my right one. When I am driving it hurts so bad, and I can feel the twitching non stop. I didnt have the cramping before, now I do. Ive read that twitching with muscle cramping is not a good combination. Does this sound concerning to anybody here? I still get twiching all over the place, mainly on my lower extremities, and more so the right leg only around the thigh. I promise that if after all Ive said you still think this sounds nothing like ALS I will leave and only come back with a diagnosis.

Rey

No. It still does not sound like ALS. The stickies are our official position, no matter what you read elsewhere. Leave now, please, and enjoy your long life.
Tracy

Hi

I know it is hard to wait but your description does not sound like ALS. There are as many causes of cramps as there are for twitches so it does not change our advice. There is even something benign called cramp fasciculation syndrome. Make sure you are well hydrated, exercising and stretching moderating and following a good diet.

Please do come back and report the results of your neuro visit. It is helpful for people who are worried to be able to see the end of the story

Hi
Twitching and cramping can be caused by so many different thing that even when seen together they are not diagnostic in themselves. The best person to advise you is your doctor, they can carry out tests and give you a diagnosis.

I know you said you are waiting on a neuro visit. Go in with an open mind don't try to lead things just explain what is happening and ask what it could be. In the mean time while you are waiting for your appointment try to work on reducing stress as that will make everything worse.

For what it's worth it still doesn't seem like mnd to me, but work with your doctors.

Good luck
Wendy

I am terribly sorry for posting here. Thank you each and everyone of you for taking the time and effort to respond to my messages. I will be back once I have a diagnosis of some sort. God bless you all, and thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Rey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back