Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nc
City
roanoke rapids
It's well documented in the stickies that the hallmark symptom of ALS is clinical weakness. My question is on the other symptoms, such as trouble swallowing, breathing issues, or slurred speech, would a person also know/have clinical weakness at the same time?

For example, if someone had slurred speech but could still walk on toes, heels, etc...Would that point to something else? Or could the clinical weakness of the limbs show up at a later point?

Tanks for any input.

-Brent

Another example would be if someone noticed no weakness, but was losing unexplained weight?! Sorry if this is a little confusing, I'm just curious as to how the non-hallmark symptoms correlate to clinical weakness.

Has the person been evaluated for the unexplained weight loss, trouble swallowing, breathing issues and slurred speech yet? These can be symptoms of many things.

I went back and read your previous thread where you noted you were a hypochondriac, had limb symptoms , googled and discovered ALS, had normal limb EMGs and then started wondering about bulbar. Since you saw neurologists and they said not ALS suggest you start with your pcp. In ALS when the things you mention happen they are a consequence of weakness so that is consistent with "the Hallmark symptom"

I see now that you've been cleared of ALS by TWO neurologists. That's great news! Time to work on your anxiety and take your thoughts far, far away from a terminal illness. You state you are 28 and a self-proclaimed hypochondriac. Go live your life and enjoy it!

Thank you both for the info! And yes, I have very much learned that I am a hypochondriac. And, I feel slightly embarrassed that I find myself lurking here trying to find whatever I am looking for. And I know that anxiety plays a huge part in exacerbating symptoms. I firmly believe I have something going on, but looks like I keep "barking up the wrong tree" with the info I have been given from the doctors as well as you all. I am going back to my PCP to see what I can do to deal with anxiety, and not run back to the forum whenever I have a new symptom arise.

You all have been more than polite and helpful, and I thank you for that.

Cheers,
Brent

Had my scheduled follow up with my neuro today. All strength tests were passed. He had to check my knee reflex twice, which made me worry of course, but after the exam, he said everything seems fine neurologically. I explained to him my persisting and new symptoms, andI flat out asked him, did anything he saw reflect an MND. He said "no". Hine sight being 20/20 and after reading posts here, I should have asked "What is wrong with me?" I guess. He did however, say he wants to follow up in 6 months to check on symptoms then, and perform the studies again. EMG :(, and a back MRI this time. This too has me worried. So, I am still a little uneasy, but I will take what he said and try to use that as positive fuel for my anxiety.

That's great!

Please understand now that we are supporting the terminally ill here.

Until your review in 6 months we can't do anything to help you. You can do a lot to help yourself however. If things seem to change or progress suddenly in that 6 months it's your doctor you need to go back to. Coming back here and asking for more of our time won't be appropriate without new doctor results.

Really happy you had a good result :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back