Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
MEX
State
Mexico
City
Mexico city
I am a 19 year old male with widespread fasciculations for aprox 3 months now, they started after a period of extreme anxiety when I noticed them very briefly in my legs, after seeing twitching could be related to ALS they quickly spread through my whole body, 70% of them are in legs and calves but I occasionally get them in arms, abdomen, chest, shoulders, eyelids, etc..

I also have noticed that my muscles seem to get numbness more easily from certain positions like crossing my legs etc... i have had other "symptoms" like feeling out of breath, trouble speaking and right shoulder being weaker, but I am convinced all of those are just in my mind,

I have done every possible strength and reflex test I could do on myself including finger tapping test, babinskis reflex, hoffmans sign, knee jerk reflex, walking on toes and heels, standing on a single leg, lifting shoulders up for 3 minutes, I can still lift very heavy weights in the gym for all muscle groups and definetly have not lost any strength, as far as clinical weakness or pathological reflexes I have been unable to find anything.

However the fasciculations have been going for 3 months now and I am perplexed as to what could be causing them, at first I thought anxiety and that makes sense because the days im more relaxed I barely notice them, but I am shocked anxiety could cause very strong fasciculations for 3 months, I believe it is from over exertion or lack of sleep maybe, but im really perplexed by the whole situation.

I would like to know from your particular experience If I shoulde be worried about widespread twitching which has been going on for 3 months without weakness or atrophy or if it could possibly be something else, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
There is absolutely no reason to worry about ALS in your case. If you've read the sticky you know that fasiculations can be caused by many things and, by themselves, are not indicative of ALS.

Sorry, we can't diagnose any other conditions--please make an appointment with your doctor. Even if it's anxiety, perhaps he or she can help you with that.

If anyone else here disagrees with me, they will certainly speak up, so please don't feel you need to continue the thread.

Best wishes,
Becky

No, you need not be worried about ALS, but these are a cue that addressing your anxiety and sleep is a good idea, lest you waste your life worrying about your health. Please reach out to a physician or counselor.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you very much for the input and for taking your time to reply to me, I will do as you say and try to get my mind off it, again thank you and best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back