Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MI
City
fairhaven
I'm a 50 year old male. In the past 4 or 5 months I've noticed many symptoms arising and like most of the people that Google these symptoms, als pops up as the front runner. My symptoms started out as daily fatigue. A few months ago I noticed my arms and legs felt heavy and I was getting frequent muscle spasms all over my body. Sometimes even vibrations in my right quad. My coordination was off, meaning my fingers didn't seem to wanna work properly. More recently my face has felt kinda stiff or frozen, sometimes tingly on my cheeks and lips and I've noticed my speech is a little slurred. When I walk o trip over nothing usually a couple times a day. I've been to my pcp and to the er because I felt numbness in my shoulder. Blood work, ekg, echo and head ct came back clean. The neurologist on call looked me over and said she didn't think I had als but I have an appointment with him in a week. I just got full custody of my daughter and I'm very worried about having als and her going back to her moms.

Thank you for responding. My reflexes were good and I haven't been diagnosed with any atrophy yet.

Numbness is not caused by ALS, so I think there's a very good probability that your neurologist will find something else going on.
Becky

Thank you Becky. Do you think that even with my other symptoms? Heavy limbs, muscle twitches daily, tripping over nothing, fingers slow to function. Thank you again

Sounds like something else entirely I'm happy to say. Have you read the post at the top of this forum titled READ BEFORE POSTING?

I know a problem is you've googled and read so much you will want to argue against that post, but it's our official stand and we know ALS really well.

Report back after you have seen a neurologist and had EMG. You will be better off not telling doctors you think you have ALS unless you are asking for help with anxiety.

All the best.

Thank you very much for your response too. I did read that exclaimer numerous times. You're right, I have Googled my symptoms and got caught up in the scare. I would never argue anything Yo8 guys tell me. I'll report back when I know something. Thanks again

So, saw the neurologist today. Had eeg, emg and doppler tests done. The emg was only done on my arms. He said he saw no signs of als. I have another appointment with him in 2 weeks to discuss everything. Thank you for your input.

Google should be taken with a grain of salt. It's looking for the closest match to key words being searched. The symptoms many come here with also match a whole host of other diseases and illnesses but people tend to gravitate toward the worst case scenario. Just because the search matched doesn't mean a person is more inclined to have ALS. In fact, due to it's rarity, even fewer people will actually ever be diagnosed with it.

You're neuro said no ALS. Take that good news and run with it while you seek out the root cause of your issues.

By no means will I drag this topic out, nor am I trying to argue the Dr's opinion. I only have 1 question. Regarding the emg was the 5 or 6 needle tests in each arm sufficient to make that conclusion?

Yes. Congratulations and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back