Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Hello:

I was referred to the Cleveland Clinic for muscle symptoms to confirm MND. My EMG was abnormal and a follow-up visit is scheduled.

In the meantime, I want to be armed with some intelligent questions based on the report they faxed me. Is there anyone out there well-versed in deciphering the information in the attached image? For example, what does "MOD-V" mean under "recruit?" As you can see from the image, most of the muscles showed something unusual.

Thank you.
-Jordan

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,648
Last edited:
My interpretation is that you should trust the people who are trained to interpret EMGs.

They look for abnormalities specific for MND. So 'abnormal but doesn't indicate als' is wholly valid.

I appreciate that; however, a follow-up visit is scheduled to discuss the results and I'd like to be armed with intelligent questions to pose about the test results they faxed. So, if there's someone out there who is skilled in interpreting some of the markers like "MOD-V," I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Usually after that table there would be a summary - what does the summary say?

I think if you want to ask intelligent questions about ALS you would be better served by reading up on EMGs in general and understanding about acute denervation ( which you do not have) and chronic changes As Tillie says the summary tells you the overall impression

Mod-v is not something I have ever seen. At a guess the mod is moderate but the thing that jumps out here is no spontaneous activity ( all the 0's in those columns near the left)

I'm not familiar with this myself but if I were going to a follow up appointment, I would ask general questions vs. "Does it look like MND?"

Can you explain what the overall results mean?
What is the difference/significance between "Mod" & "Full" and "Some" & "Few"?
How do these results relate to the issues I'm experiencing?

Thanks for the replies. I will follow the advice and see what I can find on the Internet about an EMG primer. I'd heard there might be a few EMG experts on this board so I decided to give it shot. No problem. I'll try Googling what I need.

Thanks again.

Doctor Google to the rescue. No need to see the experts any longer. Does he take insurance? Amazes me...that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back