Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Illinois (IL)
City
Roscoe
After 2 years of symptoms I am about to go see a neurologist in 2 hours.

Things have changed since my last post. I have muscle wasting in between most of my fingers on my left hand especially in-between my thumb and index finger. The weakness that was once just in my hand has went into my arm and shoulder. My muscles quiver and shake when I hold something as simple as a cup of coffee.

My gait has also changed a bit. No matter how hard or try to walk normal (or ignore my symptoms) I still slap my foot on the ground or stumble a bit.

The twitching has given way to cramps in my calves or shoulder blades. I now realize the severity of the situation and I am hoping I am just another health anxiety nut.

Furthermore, I am sorry for this post and my presence on the forums in general. It's just ive been scared and have been keeping this inside myself for so long that I needed to talk about it to someone.
Thanks,
Mallic

Given everything you have written on this forum I suspect you will not turn out to have ALS but wishing you the best of luck. Remember your number one question is not do I have ALS but rather " what is wrong with me?" And afterwards you want to know what your exam showed , what diagnoses the neuro is considering and what tests you need to find out what the problem is

Take a deep breath! Good luck and let us know

During my appointment I had an exam of my strength and my Dr. told me "You're going to be hard to figure out" and he scheduled me for an EMG on this coming Monday. I am scared but I feel relieved to just know for sure what is going on after two years of symptoms. Sorry for the late post Nikki, I appreciate your response and everything you do for the forum.

Mallic

Hi Mallic,

You should suggest a Genetic Blood test too. We waited 4 years before we even thought of that or it was suggested because we wanted to start a family. We discovered my husband had a mutated SOD1 gene which confirmed ALS.

All the best with the tests today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back