Reason
Other
Country
Eng
State
Cheshire
City
Manchester
Hey guys - my grandad passed away from als last year and quite francally im terrified.
No one else in our family history has had als from what I am aware however recently after reading the symptoms and that it can be inherited I have been getting muscle twitches all over my body which occur mailnly when I sit still. I also have a heavy feeling in my left leg (in the quadriceps) and am noticing it every time I walk. Also I have a thinner left hand ( I am right handed ) and it seems to ache a lot (maybe because I am always testing it)
I can still go to the gym and do my usual work out eg pull ups, press ups and 3 miles on the bike. However I'm terrified I'm getting als. As they seems so resemble the symptoms I have found online. I'm terrified, am only 17 and am constantly thinking about it ( I have had health anxiety for 6 months now ). Can anyone give me reassurance please???!?!
Thankyou.

You are not describing ALS symptoms.

Re inherited ALS. Having one relative is not the inherited form. I have the inherited form. In MY LIFETIME I have lost my mom, 2 aunts, an uncle and my only sibling. This is not unusual for inherited ALS. My neurologist looked at my family history and just nodded
Further your grandfather was clearly much much older than you. Even if there were a familial pattern which there is not the extremely rare juvenile genetic form would not have allowed him to live to his forties

Thankyou very much for your reply

But me left hand feels weaker and sort of over worked. and my left leg very heavy.
And what about the twitches:(

Feelings and twitches mean nothing. Read the sticky, speak to your parents and talk to your doctor about your admitted health anxiety

So are you certain that I don't have it??
I know I'm being silly - my parents say the same!
And what is the sticky?

Hey there- You're actually in the wrong forum category here. This should be posted in the Do I Have ALS section. In that section you will find a post right at the top titled "READ BEFORE POSTING".

Thanks Fiona. Can't believe I did not notice. Moved it

Thanks guys - are those facts 100% true?
And having read my post do you not hunk its worth seeing my doctor regarding ALS?

And having read my post do you not hunk its worth seeing my doctor regarding ALS????:(

Yes Terrified the Read Before Posting Facts are True and should have made you feel less worried, but do talker your doctor about your anxiety. Anxiety in itself can cause a whole host of physical problems.

Good Luck

Wendy x

Thanks Wendy. Feeling better already.

But just to settle me would you deffo say that it's not worth even considering ALS after reading my post.
And there is only need to check my anxiety out?!

Dear Terrifiedxxxx. Please realize that you're questioning people who have lots of experience with this rare disease, half of whom are dying of ALS and the other half have lost their loved ones to ALS. So yeah, that "Sticky Post" is probably the best guide that any ten doctors could put together. Believe it.

And having read my post do you not hunk its worth seeing my doctor regarding ALS????

No. Don't think anymore about ALS. Twenty years from now, if you're still wondering, then get checked. Until then, try to relax.

Yes terrified I would defo say it's not worth worrying about ALS after reading your post. See your GP explain your symptoms and how anxious it's making you and they will guide you in the right direction.
Good Luck
Wendy

Are you 100% sure I don't have ALS and don't need to worry about it????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back