Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
NYC
Hi,

I'll try to make this short. Any advice is much appreciated!

1. Random, continuous twitching all over for over 3 months now, plus all kinds of weird feelings, same as everybody else here.

2. EMG done at 6 weeks, abnormal but not typical ALS-abnormal. Neurologist advised follow up in 3-6 months.

3. Latest symptom and concern: Twitches large enough to cause involuntary movement of thumb (right side). Weakness in right hand but only after waking up, a night-long sleep or a 15-minute nap all trigger the weakness. Couldn't make a tight fist, couldn't press my thumb against other fingers or palm. Left side is completely fine. Weakness goes away and strength restored after 15 minutes or so. Feels as if the rest of the body woke up but my right hand and arm did not.

Question: Does weakness come and go in ALS? or does it associate with sleep at all?

Thanks!

Please read the stickie at the top of the board. It will address all your concerns as far as anything you're experiencing being related to ALS.

Hi Flutter

Never had sleep cause weakness, and my experience is that once I lose a particular movement it doesn't come back at all.

Wendy x

Hi Flutter

Never had sleep cause weakness, and my experience is that once I lose a particular movement it doesn't come back at all.

Wendy x

Thank you very much for taking the time sharing your experience, much appreciated! Best wishes to you!

I would see a second neurologist, preferably at an academic medical center. Not knowing what the "abnormal but not ALS abnormal" EMG showed, what you describe can be the hallmark of a couple of non-ALS disorders that would be good to know about.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back