Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
QC
City
Terrebonne
hi !

I'm a teacher so I'm speaking a lot each day. For 2 weeks I notices hoarseness in my voice. It,s nor always the same , it comes an go. Sometime I have hard time finishing my sentences, almost like if I get exhausted before finishing my sentences.

One more thuing that bugs me a lot is that sometimes (once or twice a day) i bite my tongue while speaking. Not a big bite, but almost like the tongue gets a place it shouldn't by itself. Maybe I noticed those things because I speak loudly for 3-4 hours by day.

I'm a bit worried because I read people here who said that their initial symptom was hoarsennes, some says it begins in the tongue (tongue bitting like me ?).

Hi there. I can only speak from my own experience with my father who had bulbar ALS. The "hoarseness" actually is more of a slurring of words. He sounded like he was intoxicated when he spoke. Has anyone else observed this symptom in you? It would be apparent to anyone speaking to you. Not sure about the tongue biting. Never heard of that.

Hi once again !
Nobody told me that I sound intoxicated when I talk. I guess that my student would have notice it but I guess they wouldnt have told me that way ! Some people noticed that my voice is hoarse, like it would if I catch a cold (which I have not).

About my tongue, it's hard for me to decribe it ( french is my usual language). It's like my tongue do things by itself. It places itself in my mouth where it should not be (between my teeths) which make words sound strange. It happen many time a day. I dont know if i notice all that because im very focused on my voice lately.

No.

Hoarseness is usually finding it hard to get enough breath to speak.

Bulbar onset is the tongue and the person always sounds drunk.

You don't mention what you doctor has said about it all?

Doctor ? Like you should know I dont have seen one ( thats the kind of question in wich the answer is not really ask!) .
Hoarse voice is "voix rauque" in french which is what I got. Beside that, in my fust message ive told about being "exhausted" before finishing phrases when speaking in front if the classroom.

Tostaky
People on here can't diagnose you, if you are seriously worried about having a terminal disease the first thing you should do is go and see a doctor.
Good luck
Wendy

Of course nobody can diagnose me over internet. So why that thread exist ? If the answers is always " go see a doctor". I though that someby would be reassuring but it doesn't seems to be the case....so maybe I should really worry.

Please read the sticky right at the top of the forum see the first paragraph. And 2 people did comment on your symptoms.

Tostaky
You were here a year ago asking about symptoms, you are here again asking about symptoms in a totally different area. You are asking for reassurance from people some of whom really struggle to read and type because they have lost so much function. Some people here can only reply using eyegaze.
I am sorry but I actually feel it is really rude of you to be expecting people to do this, to reassure you, but you won't ask a doctor?
Wendy

I'm sorry if my post seems to be rude, it wasn't (of course) my goal by posting here. Like i've said, english is a second language to me, maybe i'm not using the good words at the good time.

I think that everyone one coming on this particular thread (do I have ALS) needs to be reassure. We all come here looking to know if our symptoms could be associated to Als or not. Nobody come here, smiling and enjoying their time. We are worried and we are hoping someone will tell us ''als is not looking or presenting like that''.

Seing a doctor is not out of question, I was just asking here first to you people who know this disease if what i'm living could be related or not to ALS. It's true I was here last here, for other symptoms. Not having anything one year doesn't means that it will always been the same.

Thanks to all of you who takes your precious time to answer...

Tostaky
At the top of this forum there is a sticky which says, Read Before Posting, this goes through the common questions and should reassure you.
The first two answers in this post are from people who have very sadly lost loved ones to bulbar onset ALS. They know it well. Those replies should have reassured you, as they have said bulbar onset starts with slurring not hoarseness.
Hopefully this will make you less worried
Wendy

OK I'm sorry, I see you need to be reassured.

You still HAVE NO SYMPTOMS OF ALS.

Hi once again !

From what ive read in this forum it seems that many people who got Als or lost someone who got it ( Affectés told taht in another threas) had tongue biting as an early sign of the disease. Knowing that it's hard for me to not think it could be the same for me.

No that is not an early symptom and you still haven't been to the doctor. If you are truly worried, go to a doctor. Really. We can't keep reassuring you when you won't take any steps to reassure yourself.

You said tongue biting IS NOT a first sign but:

''My friend who had ALS started with biting his tongue''
1st Symptoms - Bulbar Onset? - Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board - HealthBoards

''My husband is bulbar onset and an early symptom for him was all this teeth grinding and mouth biting'' and that's Affected who answered me on this thread that said that
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/newly-diagnosed/25278-biting-mouth.html

''We think my initial symptoms started showing up around September 2010. I started having slurred speech which at the time we attributed to my biting my tongue''
My ALS history | ALSforums.com

'' Re: Biting mouth
This was my onset symptom in 2010.''

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/newly-diagnosed/25278-biting-mouth.html#post295480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back