Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
PT
State
Porto
City
Felgueiras
So for the past month I've been living in fear I might have ALS.
I have been having pains in my right hand and a feeling of "weirdness" moving the fingers. There's no tingling and\or numbness, but if feels weird, kinda hard to explain. Also I notice there's a indentation in my right hand muscle, not the Thenar Muscle,but just above the thenar muscle (Don't know what it's called) This has been going for a month and I noticed the possible atrophy 2 weeks ago. Also there's ocasional twitching in that muscle too. I don't have weakness in that hand at all currently, just this morning I lifted around 10kg with no difficulty I'd say there's no weakness at all.
I'm 19, could this be ALS or am I being paranoid?
I've had my share of bad luck in health, being diagnosed and succesfully treated for stomach cancer a year ago...

Sorry to hear about you cancer. I'm sure you have a lot of health anxiety especially after encountering that at such a young age.

Thankfully, from what I know about ALS, you are not describing ALS. Have you seen a doctor about your concerns?

Thankfully I'm cured from the cancer, but this hand symptoms I've been having are frightening, I mean there is visible wasting and my fingers feel stiff, specially ring and pinky fingers, I mean I can extend them but they feel kinda stiff, and it's been going for a month now. From what I read in ALS weakness always comes first and then atrophy. Is this always true? Also how would weakness in the hands "feel"? Would I not be able to hold heavy stuff? Right now I can hold anything just as good with both hands, but still I'm scared. Doesn't help that I have high anxiety, sometimes i walk through the house scared, and can only think about ALS for the past month. Going to see a GP tomorrow, will tell her what I'm feeling.

You don't 'feel' anything with ALS--you don't feel weak, you just can't do it. So here's the thing, if you haven't experienced an unexplainable ability to perform a task, like picking up a pen or buttoning your shirt, you don't have the clinical weakness that is the hallmark of ALS. It is difficult to explain and express with words, but once you've experienced it, you get it. It does not seem as though that is your experience, which is wonderful for you. None of your symptoms present as ALS. That is extremely good news. Work with your doc to find out what else could be causing your symptoms, as it is not ALS.

You don't 'feel' anything with ALS--you don't feel weak, you just can't do it. So here's the thing, if you haven't experienced an unexplainable ability to perform a task, like picking up a pen or buttoning your shirt, you don't have the clinical weakness that is the hallmark of ALS. It is difficult to explain and express with words, but once you've experienced it, you get it. It does not seem as though that is your experience, which is wonderful for you. None of your symptoms present as ALS. That is extremely good news. Work with your doc to find out what else could be causing your symptoms, as it is not ALS.

Thanks for answering! I don't have weakness at all so yeah probably you're right! I wish I could stop thinking about it but until a doctor tests me I won't have peace. Maybe my "atrophy" isn't real and only assymetry but i definitely think it's there so if it's not ALS have to see a doctor and find out what it is. Thanks again!

Hi TT,

Cancer treatment can have delayed effects, including nerve damage. I would look to your diet, stress, sleep and hydration first and if the symptoms persist, ask for a referral to a physio to evaluate your hand.

Best,
Laurie

Hi TT,

Cancer treatment can have delayed effects, including nerve damage. I would look to your diet, stress, sleep and hydration first and if the symptoms persist, ask for a referral to a physio to evaluate your hand.

Best,
Laurie

I did not have any cancer treatment, the disease was very early so the removal of the stomach was the only treatment I needed. I didn't mention I am taking antidepressants (Mirtazapine+Olanzapine) and also Diazepam so there might be a link, I know that kind of medications can cause weird side effects and I'm extremely sensitive to medications and usually get rare side effects (once i got a extremely rare side effect from a anti-nausea medication, had to stop it) But thanks everyone for the replies, I'm now a little bit less worried, although i'm still constantly checking my hand strength, which so far is normal.

Just wanna say I went to a general doctor who checked my hands and saw nothing wrong. I said I had pains and some fingers "felt weird", she didn't seem worried. When I asked if it could be something serious like ALS, she said what I was feeling had nothing to do with ALS, because I had no weakness. I asked for EMG just to be sure but she said no reason to do it, so yeah, I gotta believe her.

Just a quick update: My hand hurts terribly, specially the thumb muscle, and sometimes twitches. Still no weakness, so now my ALS fear is gone. I heard ALS doesn't cause intense pain so it must be something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back